Another vertigo question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
I was talking with my dad about how over the past 4 years or so Ive been getting rather spooked when Im out on ledges and what not. When I was in high school I used to jump off cliffs into water and not think twice about it.

My dad claims that it might be an inner ear infection and that the infection can throw off your equaliberium.

Can anyone confirm this.
thanks
Chad

I've heard that before. I had a period of 5 years or so when i was scared of heights, but lately i have been OK climbing cliffs and such. It never was a problem for me until i was about 20 years old, then i got dizzy spells and spinning and such when i was up high. But now it seems to have gone away. It's probably 50-50 as far as physical/mental reasons why it happens, my guess anyway.

cp2000 said:
My dad claims that it might be an inner ear infection and that the infection can throw off your equaliberium.
Can anyone confirm this.

"What causes vertigo?

The system in the body that controls balance consists of a coiled tube of fluid, called the labyrinth, situated in the ear behind the eardrum,. The fluid in the labyrinth changes position whenever you move your head, causing tiny motion sensors to fire off electrical impulses to the nerve supplying this area (the vestibular nerve). In turn, this nerve sends signals back to the part of the brain enabling the body to maintain balance. Illness or disease that affects any part of this system can cause vertigo.

The commonest areas to be hit are the labyrinth itself or the vestibular nerve, usually as a result of a virus infection. Apart from the dizziness, you may feel sick. Attacks usually last for a few seconds and are triggered by head movement. Severe attacks should stop after four days, but you may get occasional dizzy spells for a few weeks.

Infections of the outer part of the can affect the labyrinth, and you may notice a painful ear and get a high temperature, as well as the vertigo."

HOWEVER;

"What is vertigo?

Vertigo is sometimes confused with a fear of heights and the Alfred Hitchcock film of the same name has James Stewart standing on top of a bell tower, unable to look down. Whilst the symptoms of vertigo can affect you in high places, it is more likely to strike when you're sitting at home in your favourite armchair. It can last from a few days to many years. Sometimes the cause is easy to find, but sometimes it remains a mystery.

Vertigo is a term used to describe a type of dizziness in which there is a sense of movement. It has nothing to do with fears or phobias, but is often caused by a physical condition. It usually comes on suddenly, and you may feel as if the floor is tilting, sinking or rising - like being on the deck of a ship. You may find yourself staggering or veering sideways when you try to walk, as if you've had one too many. On the other hand, you may feel like you've just got off a funfair ride, with everything spinning around you. It can be frightening at the time, but fortunately most bouts of vertigo are due to temporary problems which settle by themselves in a few days."

i have bad fear of heights, if i could fix it id be the happiest man on the planet. i have had dizzy spells but i think related to ear infection. i take meclazine(bonine) when that happens. I didn't realize they were totally unrelated. the fear is more like terror than vertigo for me.

cp2000 said:
I was talking with my dad about how over the past 4 years or so Ive been getting rather spooked when Im out on ledges and what not. When I was in high school I used to jump off cliffs into water and not think twice about it.
Spooked is hardly a well defined medical term--I'll assume it means "fear of heights".

There could be phyiscal causes, but it can also be psychological. A certain amount of fear of heights is perfectly reasonable--it can protect one from injury or death. And most people become more risk adverse as they age beyond high school.

I used to rock climb. It is a very psychological sport--one has to learn how to control one's fear of heights and regain one's confidence. Many have to retrain themselves both physically and psychologically every spring...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you find the fear paralyzing in mild situations.

And if there is a physical problem, have it treated.

Doug

I believe the type of Vertigo you are experiencing is probably mostly psychological.

I had a real inner ear infection once.
The whole first day I had to lay in bed with my eyes closed. If I opened them I would get dizzy, the room would spin and I would dry heave.
By the third day I could kind of walk but would stumble and lose my balance.
After about a week and a half I was fine.

Like it was said, I doubt that an inner ear infection would last so long and only come out in spurts when you're on ledges.

Maybe it's old age :D

dizziness is vertigo

As Chip states vertigo isn’t a fear of heights. Vertigo is dizziness. I was diagnosed with vertigo about 14 years ago. The dizziness was so bad I would loose my balance and fall while getting out of bed. It has since gone away. I’m not afraid of heights, never have been.

Jim

Also I believe the older we get, the more cautious we get. We no longer want to try those "daring" things we did, when we were younger. :)

older

`IM not sure I agree with age being a factor, IM over 40 (barely) and still traverse and climb like a mountain goat, ussually with a big smile on my face. When I started out heights where sketchy, I just kept going up and eventually got used to it, its not natural for humans to be hanging off stuff, just get out and do it, youll either get used to it, or you may realize your just not cut out for it, then you can take up bowling. :eek:

I don't think age is a factor either. I'm quite past 50, and the pleasure for me now in hiking are extremes. If everything's nice and sunny and not steep, I'm bored. I'm thinking of taking up rock climbing, and did my first bungee jump last summer.

On the other hand, as I get older I may be getting dumber.

The inner ear problem often times has the symptom of dizziness when reading or any activity that moves the eyes or rapidly moves the head. I have seen similar cases helped with Complementary and Alternative Medicine. PM me if you want more details.

My dad has had periods of vertigo triggered by a pinched nerve in his back. A lot of different things can trigger it, completely unrelated to heights.

-dave-

DougPaul said:
Spooked is hardly a well defined medical term--I'll assume it means "fear of heights".

There could be phyiscal causes, but it can also be psychological. A certain amount of fear of heights is perfectly reasonable--it can protect one from injury or death. And most people become more risk adverse as they age beyond high school.

I used to rock climb. It is a very psychological sport--one has to learn how to control one's fear of heights and regain one's confidence. Many have to retrain themselves both physically and psychologically every spring...

I wouldn't worry about it unless you find the fear paralyzing in mild situations.

And if there is a physical problem, have it treated.

Fear of heights yes............

The fear comes and goes and from time to time I will get scared when there isnt much danger(very rare but it has happend 2 or 3 times). Sunday I went up lonesome lake and over to canon. Right below the summit of canon(just before that stupid coin operated sight seeing thing) my knees turned to jelly abit. I tried to stand there and look over the edge but got freaked and continued on.

cp2000 said:
Fear of heights yes............

The fear comes and goes and from time to time I will get scared when there isnt much danger(very rare but it has happend 2 or 3 times). Sunday I went up lonesome lake and over to canon. Right below the summit of canon(just before that stupid coin operated sight seeing thing) my knees turned to jelly abit. I tried to stand there and look over the edge but got freaked and continued on.
OK, sounds like it might be a problem...

IMO, you haven't said anything that rules out either phyical or psycological causes. Obviously it is your call, but it sounds to me like it might be worth having it professionally checked out.

Doug

Though I haven't taken up bowling ...I have always had to deal with heights as a potiential problem for me in varying degrees from extreme to the mild.
I even took work as a chimney sweep to help confront and expand my tolerence for heights. Vertical sheer heights are not for me, whether looking from a window in a high rise building or looking over a cliff, the effect is the same for me. It is as difficult, for me, to walk up to the window as it is to peek over the edge of a cliff.
This has been a life long thing since forever, with definite fluxuations of intensity from time to time.
I just figure I was born with an extra helping of 'self preservation' when it came to that.
I did seek out a hypno therapist during one difficult time of it and found that it was a big help...there are techniques from that I still use from time to time as the need arises.

Right now I'm in the middle of painting my house (well actually right now I'm goofing off when I should be painting).
I find that when I get up as far as the third story windows I start to tense up. This happens at the same height every time. A measurable point.
Below this point I have no fear.
When I'm at this level as long as I'm faceing forward I'm OK.
If I need to turn my head or look down, it must be done slowly.
When I do this the tention starts near my heals at shoots up to my sphincter.
I can do this on purpose, the reaction is always the same.
If I forget and turn quickly my head will spin and I hug that ladder for my life.
I don't do that on purpose.
This is all suprisingly predictible.

Last edited:
I was always fearless of heights as a kid until in 10th grade when I fell of a scoffolding - about 15-20 feet. I landed on a particle board table with I crashed through and it sufficiently broke my fall. I had a small scratch on my forearm and that was it. After that incidentI was pretty scared of all heights for a year or two until I had to take a confidence type of course (I think it was called Project Adventure)...this slowly brought back my confidence.

Since I began hiking I have only had one minor vertigo experience and that was on the rock on bondcliff when I peered down over the edge - i quickly dove back to the main rocks!

I think vertigo is a rational feeling that can keep you safe and alive, but in can overpower you to the point where you cannot do much.

sapblatt said:
Since I began hiking I have only had one minor vertigo experience and that was on the rock on bondcliff when I peered down over the edge - i quickly dove back to the main rocks!

This was one of biggest freak outs. I tried to walk to the edge when all of a sudden my legs froze and I realized it wasnt happening.

Anywho

Thanks for the replies. In time I hope that this goes away :cool:

Chad....................