Any tall hikers with pants out there?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amr

Reaction score
Howdy,

So, I've bought a lot of backpacking gear in my day. Everything from the standard stuff: tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, to the more specialized stuff like: snow shoes, backcountry skis, crampons, etc. to the slightly more esoteric stuff: gravity-fed water filters, ultra-light pot cozies, homemade alcohol stoves, etc. But out of all this stuff, I find the most difficult piece of gear for me to buy is... a pair of pants.

Being 6'5" it's a challenge to find a pair of pants that's long enough-- a pair that doesn't ride up past my ankles when I sit down to enjoy a break along the trail. Most trail pants just come in S,M,L,XL sizes. And while the XL size might be long enough, the waist is usually far too big for me. To compound the problem, when shopping online, stores don't tend to list the actual inseam length for their trail pants. Luckily, I don't have the same problem with jeans because they are typically sold in much more specific sizes. I buy my jeans online because I can't just walk into a store and expect to find a 32"x38" pair. I don't think I've ever seen a pair of trail pants longer than 36", and most seem to stop at 34".

I have had two successes. I finally found a pair of rain pants that fit: a pair of Red Ledge Thunderlight XL's. They were tough to find. (I gave up on the Marmot Precip XL's because their waist was too big and kept sliding down as I hiked.) I also found that the tall version of Mountain Hardwear Convertible Pack Pants actually fit. They probably measure 33"x36". However, while rugged and comfortable, they weigh a ton.

So my question is this: Have any tall hikers out there found a lightweight pair of nylon trail pants that actually fit and that they really enjoy?

I'm gearing up for a PCT thru-hike next year, so weight is a major factor. And given the harsh desert conditions I'll probably be wearing long pants and a long-sleeved shirt for the first month for so to protect against the sun.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Wow, you are all legs. I'm 6'-5" (well, 6'-4 1/2") and I wear 34x34 pants. I can't really help you out. I know that 34" pants is usually the limit for off the rack stuff.

Have you tried going to a Big & Tall store and seeing if they have nylon running pants? You might be able to get by with those.

Good luck.

- darren

ps: what size bike do you ride???????

Heh. Well, I probably should've mentioned that I like my pants a little on the baggy side. I'd say that a 36" inseam fits properly, while 38" is definitely pushing it.

Funny you should mention bikes. I recently bought a Canondale touring bike. They came in the typical sizes: S, M, L, X, and... J? It took me a moment before it clicked that 'J' meant "Jumbo." And that's what I ended up buying!

Andy

tall and thin

I'm 5' 11'' but a good friend of mine is 6' 6'' and has all his hiking gear custom made for not much less than regular retail on high end gear.I think it is a company in canada that has been mentioned on vftt.beyondfleece.com or try integral designs.
just then the wind came squalling through the door but who can the weather comand? (GD)

RailRiders' Weatherpants are available in "long," which has 36" inseam.

Their catalog is confusing, including both "long" and "tall." The latter is supposed to have about a 33.5" inseam in the Small waist size that I need, and that would have fit me fine... but apparently, according to the sales rep I spoke with on the telephone, there's really no difference between Tall and Long, and the 36" inseam I received was far too long for me and they went back.

But it sounds as if the Longs would fit you perfectly.
http://www.railriders.com/store/RailRiders___Men_s___PantsWPN?Args=

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The RailRiders look very promising. I think I'll order a pair and give 'em a try.

I'm only 6'3". :)

If you can find them, Mammut makes hiking / climbing pants (I have the Castor pants (waterproof softshell) in size 108 (which is American waist 36" and inseam 36"). Arcteryx also makes pants in long sizes. I'm not sure of the actual inseam measurement for the tall sizes. For some reason, I couldn't access the sizing chart on their website.

Last edited:
long leg

AMR-

I'm 6'5" about 180lbs. I use LL Bean for all my outside stuff...they sell tall clothing which had been a lifesaver.

I have a 35-36" inseam (34-35 waist). I found an awesome pair of Columbia Titanium ski pants that are long(er) than their usual pants. I love them as they are warm, water proof and the fit really well. Those I found on a sale rack at some 2nd tier ski shop in NH.

So, LL Bean works. The other suggestion look intersting as well, I'll look into those myself.

-peace
talldrink

Bean seems to have stopped carrying Medium Talls, though... my best shirt size. If you want Talls, you have to go at least to Large, and they're too baggy on me.

werdigo49 said:
Bean seems to have stopped carrying Medium Talls, though... my best shirt size. If you want Talls, you have to go at least to Large, and they're too baggy on me.

I just checked online with 3 different shirts at LL and they still had med tall.

What shirt are you looking at?

I'd call them as there might be a typo error.

Jim

CaptCaper said:
I just checked online with 3 different shirts at LL and they still had med tall.

What shirt are you looking at?

I'd call them as there might be a typo error.

Jim

Thanks, Jim; I was referring to the print catalog (Christmas 2005). Chamois Cloth Shirt, p. 32, says "Tall L to XXL" but llbean.com shows Medium Tall as an available size. The Scotch Plaid Flannel (p. 39), though, is only available in L to XXL in Tall, both print and online. So I guess it just varies. In the print catalog I don't remember seeing ANY Med Tall shirts, though I didn't look at dress shirts.

where's the "human moose" durin' all of this??? dude can step over a 4 foot blowdown and jump wide rivers in a single bound!! :D :D

werdigo49 said:
Thanks, Jim; I was referring to the print catalog (Christmas 2005). Chamois Cloth Shirt, p. 32, says "Tall L to XXL" but llbean.com shows Medium Tall as an available size. The Scotch Plaid Flannel (p. 39), though, is only available in L to XXL in Tall, both print and online. So I guess it just varies. In the print catalog I don't remember seeing ANY Med Tall shirts, though I didn't look at dress shirts.

If the clothes are on sale it may be that the only availibility is in certain sizes.

But there everyday items should have plenty of stock although I've seen times when for example there seasonal clothes such as thermal pants would be sold out in certain sizes this time of year as people have bought up them by now deep into the season and LL won't order anymore as they have to order so many of course and would never sell them by spring. Thus they'd have left overs to deal with. They probably allready are working on next years style and quanity.

Jim