Anybody Hiking in the Catskills Friday Night?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Sorry to post this but desperation has set in. I've had a long hike planned in the Catskills for several months for this weekend with the wife as my hike support.

Hotel planned (no camping with MY wife :rolleyes: ) , and ride to start taken care of. But today, less than 2 full days before leaving, both kids get sick, the babysitters back out- the grandparents don't want to get sick- so the wife can't come. (and I am sure the kids will be fine by Friday, but we don't want to chance it).

I am hoping to find help spotting my car at the Spruceton road trailhead of the DP Friday night- getting a ride back to the Forrestor Lodge in Hunter. Happy to pay for gas, buy you a couple of beers, and be really appreciative of helping me keep this plan from falling apart totally (OK, no real value there for you).

Feel free to PM or email me if you are able to help, and my apologies for this groveling post.

Hey Tuco, Unfortunately, I wont be in the catskills til Saturday morning..

Do you have a bike? bring bike and car to Spruceton road, ride back to your hotel. Ask hotel if they can cache the bike for a day, then you have transportation to Prediger on early saturday morning, as you mentioned?

I am backpacking Ashoken HP with freddy but not til saturday. Have you tried to ask TomEske if he could give you a ride? He's local and might be able to help. But seriously, the bike is a great idea... and since you have your SUV, you can easily fit it in the back without a rack.

Jay

Jay- thanks. I didn't think you guys were getting up there until Saturday.

I haven't gotten a bike yet, but that would have worked. I'll hook that up next year. If I can't swing it, I may just come up and do a few different hikes on Saturday night.

Enjoy---

You're welcome to join us... We're thinking of hiking Ashoken, doing a bushwack to Little Ashoken and or Mombaccus and Little Rocky... on saturday, staying overnight perhaps on Little Ashoken to Sunday....

Let me know... I have to call Fred tonight to see what time to meet and stuff...

Jay

Jay- sent you an email at work, but don't have your home email here so just in case, let me know where you plan on staying Saturday night if you know for sure. Maybe I'll meet up with you both- I plan on winging it Saturday so I am not sure.

Hi Eric,

Are you still planning the Devil's Path hike for another week? If so, I will be back from Lake Tahoe on the 31st, but any weekend in November is OK with me. There will be less daylight, but that's ok, that's what headlamps are for. We'll just have to wear bright orange (like the last hike).

Rob

Rob- enjoy your trip.

If I can get away from home again....and the weather cooperates- then maybe we can schedule. When you get back lets review calendars- and feel free to join us folks.

Hi Eric, If you meet up with Jay and I on Sat. you will see some of the best views in the Catskills from Ashokan HP and Little Ashokan. Save those 3500' peaks for later and do some 3000' mountains off the beaten path with us instead. Fred

Hey Fred, I just emailed Jay and I will be putting in an early mornming hike and then possibly/probably meet up with you on Ashokan and Little Ashokan.

Look forward to hanging out-

Eric

Man, that's one freaky avatar Fred!!!

See ya tomorrow.. I'm going stoveless, I got poptarts and a bunch of bagels. I'm going to see if I can fit everything I need into my Lowe Contour 30 daypack. I think I can do it if I don't need to carry stove/fuel, or a water filter. It's only for one night. See ya tomorrow Fred and Eric, possibly...

Jay

Burroughs Range/Giant Ledge Overnighter

Hey, I saw your thread here on the Catskills and I just thought that I'd let you know that a bunch of us from over the thebackpacker.com (TrailTalk) are headed over to the Catskills next weekend (13-14 Nov). All are welcome to come join us; details here.

Hope to meet some of you there!

I have nebulous plans to be up there that weekend. I breezed through the thread, as best as one can breeze through 200+ messages. If folks are are going up the wittenberg trail I may be able to meet up with folks at the terrace mnt trail- Wittenberg trail junction. I was planning on staying at terrace mnt Friday night or the peekomoose notch road side campsites.

Sounds pretty cool, but we'll be by early, as we're planning on crossing the entire Burroughs Range and crossing over to Giant Ledge (where we're camping on Saturday night) before dark -- about 13.5 miles / 4800 ft elevation gain from Woodland Valley. Starting at Terrace Mtn gives you a 1.7 mile / 1000 ft head start on the hike.

That said, you're more than welcome to join us. We're planning on setting out from Woodland Valley at 7:30 AM sharp.

Still haven't worked out if I'll be doing a day trip or more. Tell Pensey I said hello if I don't make it. There's also a possibility I might head to Giant Ledge after I take care of maintenance duties at the lean to.

I'm hiking with the long island chapter of the ADK on sat. on Devil's Path... but i want to go up friday night, sleep over and meet up with the group in the am..don't know as of now how far away that is from others.. i have to go home sat. night