Anyone been up Grand Teton in mid June?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Unstrung Harp

Reaction score
I am heading out next week on a guided trip up Grand Teton. I am stoked. I've read and read and read but never actually had a chance before to do anything like this. Just wondering is anyone else has been out there at this time of year, and if anyone has any advice on the weather/conditions to expect. The guide company gave a pretty good packing list, but there are just so many variables and things that I may end up wanting/not wanting.

For instance, I have an insanely warm down jacket but it's not really for backpacking and a little on the bulky side. Would I be fine with a less bulky down vest and an extra base or mid layer? I feel like it's not a life or death situation since I'll be in a group and I will have a lot of warm stuff with me, etc. But I have several other similar questions, some of which I've asked the guide company. (They have a great reputation fwiw.)

I would love to hear anyone else's experiences and intel. Maybe that will help narrow down my personal packing list for which I might, at this point, need a private supersized jet. Thanks in advance!

June 24th 2007 I did Disappointment with an Exum guide as a day hike/scramble. We put on shells at the summit but were in shorts and tee shirts the rest of the time. I'd bring everything you can and let the service tell you what to leave behind. I'm sure they'll do a gear check before. Beautiful area. I'm jealous. Good luck. Here's pics of that day if you're interested; https://picasaweb.google.com/ChipDiane/WYDisappointmentPeakTetons#

...Just wondering is anyone else has been out there at this time of year, and if anyone has any advice on the weather/conditions to expect...

Keep in mind it snowed in Yellowstone last week, not just the high peaks, but down low too. Grand Teton is higher than anything in Yellowstone. I took this pic in the second week of June 2005 and some of the higher passes were still not passable. In addition to asking about gear, I'd keep asking the guides about the current snow pack.

Grand Teton National Park forecast ...remember, that's the forecast for the Park, not the high peaks.

433049088_kyovU-L.jpg

Last edited:
My friend and I climbed the Grand Teton in July 2006, along with Mt. Moran, Buck Mountain and Cube Point. I can't answer questions specific to June from experience, but I will say that the lower saddle (where you will likely base camp) on the Grand is at 11,700 and the wind whips through there. I would take all your warmer gear, but that is just me because I like to be warm. I would defer to the guide company you are going with in the end, this ain't their first rodeo.

As far as the actual climb, it will be an experience you will never forget. The Exum Ridge on the Grand is an outstanding climb, you will really like traversing "Wall Street", where you will be dangling out over 2,000' of vertical drop, yowzer!

I'd like to share my experiences, which are at the link below:

http://www.pbase.com/pudgy_groundhog/gtnp06

Have fun!

We were in the park (and Yellowstone too) a few years back and really appreciated having a down jacket for nights/mornings. Even in August it was below freezing every night yet quite hot in the day times. Have a great trip! It is soooo beautiful out there!

I'm familiar with the conditions in the Sierra, but not so much with the Tetons. My hunch is they had a low-snow year, similar to the Sierra, but got some late, like the Rockies. But, that's only an educated guess on my part. I haven't been in the Tetons yet this year.

The advice you got above about bringing everything you own, and let the guides sort it once you get there, is something I'd second. In low-humidity climates where the Tetons are located, the temps drop like a rock after sundown, so listen to what the guides tell you. If weight/baggage fees is/are an issue, why don't you call them about your parka?

I've been there, but not climbed the Grand, a couple times in June and each time there was lots of snow in the mountains. Last year there was so much snow I couldn't even hike in the canyons because I didn't bring any winter gear, most notably snowshoes. I expect your guides will outfit you well for the conditions ... most people do fly in so the guides must be prepared for limited capacity. Exum Guides is the firm I'm aware of with the longest guiding history up the Grand. It will likely be cold ... you're starting at about 7,000 feet ... if you need acclimitization to the altitude I hope you arrive early. And Jackson is a good place to acclimitize to the attitude.

This advice is all very helpful. Thanks to each of you. We'll have three days of prereq climbing school and snow/ice school before we start the actual climb. I am nervous about the altitude. Hopefully some others in the group will also be lowlanders. I have trained like crazy but who knows what's going to happen out there.

Thanks again!!

Mid July it was T-shirts and shorts much of the time but fleece and rainjacket at times in the wind, particularly on breaks. Also got hit with some cold rain and sleet and it was nice to have some down under the rain jacket as we hunkered down. At this time of year I'd want some go-to core warmth.