Anyone ever broken through ice?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twice. Once on Crane Mountain Pond. I was close to shore and escaped with two wet legs up to my knees. Second time was crossing the Bouguet on a bushwhack up E-town #4 and Spotted. This one was with snowshoes and the ice fell on my shoes and was trapped until my hiking partner could free me, he broke through as well, both now wet to our knees and about 2.5 miles from the car.

Leduc - I agree with Post'r boy - you da man

Cool recalls all, Thanks. I had forgoten some typical scenarios, first Lude dude is that a lufa in your pocket or are ya just excitable? (Al La May West. Except ouch!) Too funney.
I have been told about that suction phenomana, but have not incountered it. I understand that can be very bad. Iv noticed swamps put out heat, B K held it together, good man.
I see deer go single file over ice. Dogs in the know? May be. Endo oh man.

The two layer thing is hard to see. When you travel, naturally, knowledg of recent weather history is not a given. One early January (1970?)on Raquette lake it rained. The lake was well frozen before, as per usual. Then snow. The time between the snow and rain allowed for only some thin ice,. (snow kept the sluch and new open water warm) may areas were snow over deep slush. Snow shoes get heavy, snow machines bog down and it was miles between points, wind limited visability. 25 below and the conditions did not improve, a beaten path needed to be maintained.

As for through the ice, some of the stories here sound a kin to play us foolish kids got in to, some sound like life was on the line.
I have had better luck with synthetics.
My first real time throught was, to the arm pits in 67 or 68, it a bit above 5 with light wind. I swung out with a camera on out summer time rope. Snapping a photo at the apex, at that instant, I let go?! The result was a punch through, a small hole, upon hitting shore it was like wearing stove pipes, it was all I could do to climb the familier bluff to were my buddies were making fun.
I was not all that wet???! The big guy got a hot fire going quickly. Those 16''plastic pack boots were like cement over shoes.

My little sister ( all 100 pounds of her) dove through thin ice, in the same spot, a year later saving my brother and dog who were actually out of site under the ice. Granted it was in the 30s, and it was all with in a mile from home, but what a feat!

One thing I have not found a device for, mental or other wise is when cold water makes the body refuse to breath in or out. Ideas? Chris

Does Knee-Deep Count?

I fell off a steep section of the Webster-Jackson Trail one late-December day and landed in that brook that crosses the trail just past where the trail separates to go to Webster. As I stood up, I realized I was in the brook at just the instant that the ice broke and I sank in up to my knees. That was a rude awakening!

I scrambled out and went back to the trail junction and put on dry socks. I had whacked my thigh on a rock when I fell, and it was getting sore. So, I hiked back out to the car, a sadder, wiser, and wetter man.

I fell through Uphill Brook about 8 years ago, up to my waist in water not even touching bottom. Scarey part was I couldn't get out without help from the gentlemen in my party. It is a nightmare that will haunt you forever and from then on I was always weary on ice and always checked every step before making the next one. The shivers go up your spine at every snap you hear in the ice while crossing as the nightmare plays over again in your mind.