Anyone need a long trail hiking partner?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolion

Reaction score
hey,
im planning on hiking the long trail in august ( preferably around the 1st ) going S to N. but i was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be interested in hiking with me. ill be honest- im a really new hiker and this would be my first long distance trip. also i hike slow. id be fine with splitting up during the day and meeting up at a certain time/hut/location, if in some way that would work. but i figured id put this out there incase anyone is interested.

thanks
-carolion

Hi Carolion,
Welcome to VFTT. I've been thinking about hitting the LT this August as well and have been keeping a 3-4 week block of time open, though I might be starting last week of July rather than 1st week of August . PM me if you're interested.
-vegematic

It seems like a lot of people are headed out to the Long Trail this summer. I'm planning on going North to South - starting July 25. I'm happy to hook up with other people, and willing to bend a bunch to keep the same pace for the first couple of nights out.

Carolione: You'll get lots of good advice here on gear and planning for the trip if you ask, or if you search for threads on your topics.

We are trying to hike the LT south from Smuggler's Notch to either Middlebury Gap or Brandon Gap early August. Last year we convinced
a friend to drop us at the northern terminus and we hiked to our car
at Smuggler's. It would be great to cross paths with VFTT folks this summer!

-Blue

My LT Plans

I am a section hiker, and have hiked from the Massachusetts border to Jonesville, Rt. 2, just north of Camel's Hump.

I will be hiking some of my remaining miles northbound this summer, starting with Bolton and Mansfield, and I may well finish the trail this year.

As such, I may be of little help or company for most of you, but you never know.

Last edited:
HI Carolion, I was wondering if you would be intersted in having some one along for a section say a few days or a week ? I really do not know my hiking pace I can generally adapt to most other poples paces unless they are very fast. . Are you planning any warm up trips before you go it is a good way to test out your equipment and get a feel for how every thing works if you have not done so already.
Feel free to send a PM

I'd be interested in section hiking some of it with you. :) I was looking at 2006 at actually hiking it from end to end. But there are several mountains on the New England Highest Hundred list along the LT or close by it I need to pick up. Plus I wouldn't mind redoing Killington.....the view I had on the summit extended about 5 feet due to the foggy weather that day.

Hey all,

I made it to Middlebury Gap with Seema last summer and have done up to Emiliy Proctor shelter since then. I'm hoping to finish this summer with weekend hikes and taking a week or so off of work sometime for a more serious push to the finish. I'd like to get to the other side of Camel's Hump/I-89 with weekend hikes and then do a long stretch to the finish. So, keep me in mind if you're looking for weekend double car duty for shuttles and stuff like that or for a partner for later in the summer for a longer section too. Can't wait to get back out there on the trail.

T.Co.

Great!!

Carolion welcome from me as well. This is THE spot to scope out your LT plans
I also am shooting for August to give the LT as much northward progress as I can get.

I'd say watch everyone elses threads or start new ones as the time draws near.

Mud season is a buzzing time for hikers, alot of pent up planning, packing and buying will happen in the next 6 weeks. :p

Yes! I Would!

Carolion,

I am interested in doing one of the long paths of New England this summer. Unfortunately, I haven’t had too much luck convincing my friends a longer hike was a good idea. I have done several trips in the (with them) Adirondacks, and feel ready for a longer (2-3 week) trip. If you or anyone else is looking for a hiking partner this summer, please let me know! :D

I'm planning on spending a lot of time on the LT this summer, section hiking portions of it. If only I could get a three-week block to do it in one fell swoop, but alas, that ain't possible. Hope to see other VFTTers in the VT hills! PM if any of you are interested in joining on some section hikes.

hey everyone,
thanks so much for your welcomes and enthusiastic replys. i just wanted to tell everyone though that i dont think i will get the chance to hike the LT this summer. if i do probably only section hikes or on the weekend. its nothing bad thats keeping me from the trail, just family and school obligations. have a wonderful hike to everyone who will be out there this summer!! :)

Caroline

Carolion - I hope you have a great summer and can do some section hikes with people who posted here.

To the Sikes: I am planning on doing the Long Trail starting about July 25 - going North to South. I'll need to stop after 3 weeks whether I finish or not, and keep going into Mass on the AT if I get to the Mass border early. I'm not ready to promise to keep going at anyone elses pace over the long haul, but I'm glad to start out with others and do some mutual watching out should our paces diverge after a few nights out. I'm happy to trade info, cooperate in getting out - and starting doing the first few days together.