Anyone planning on Dix Range this weekend 2/23 to 2/25?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtmarkow

Reaction score
Anyone planning on doing Macomb, East Dix, South Dix and/or Hough this coming weekend? Was wondering how far in the herd paths are broke out. It looks like a few groups went in to do Macomb this past weekend....

I am also interested if anyone has been there this past weekend, or if anyone is planning on going there this weekend. I have a planned trip to visit the Dix Range over March 3/4. If anyone wants to join up to create a larger group will help our chances of being successful.

Actually, two of my friends are planning on going into the Dix Range starting this Friday (2-23), going in to stay at the lean-to along the way to Macomb. My guess is that Macomb and South Dix are broke out, though I am not even sure of that.

There was nothing broken out past the summit of Macomb. The campers we met (originally shooting for Panther Gorge) took nine hours to break trail with heavy packs to the first lean-to! We only made Macomb (look at all the failures in the trip reports section) because of an A+ trailbreaking team (ahem ... Inge!).

Expect slow progress along the ridge.

However, there may be some vulturing of the Macomb path this week so perhaps the whole ridge will be open? The upper reaches were quite beautiful, and would make for an amazing trip.

Guinness said:
I am also interested if anyone has been there this past weekend, or if anyone is planning on going there this weekend. I have a planned trip to visit the Dix Range over March 3/4. If anyone wants to join up to create a larger group will help our chances of being successful.

A friend of mine that is not a member here over on ADKHIGHPEAKS is interested in doing the Dix Range. He just started a thread over there this morning. His name is ADKDREMN (Andy) You might want to contact him.

Thanks,
Adam

There is a group heading into there this weekend (Feb. 24/25). They plan on visiting Macomb, East / South Dix. That will be a great help to build upon the broken trails that were started last weekend.

On March 3/4, I have a group heading in for all five. The original plan was to start at the South Fork of the Boquet River which joins with the South Fork heading into the col between East and South Dix. I have a Trip Report here. of my last trip there.

With all the snow fall, I am now leaning toward spotting cars which will allows us to start in from the South and end up at Route 73 near the Round Pond parking area.

I am looking for interested individuals. I have done the loop route from various starting / ending points 4 times all as day hikes, but this trip I am planning on a over night as I am slowing down.

Drop me a note (email address below) or post here if interested.

Ed

Sorry for the hijack vtmarkow. Maybe we can build upon each weekends success. Good luck and hope you get the three or four you are hoping for.

When I return from this weekends adventure, the planning will start for our forray into the Dix Range. Hope the weather holds out!

Ed

Ay!

peak_bgr said:
That's why they give you sick days, not because you're really sick. ;)

Uh, you talkin' to me?

If so, I have a hard time explaining being sick to my boss who apparently realizes the only affliction I have is this dreadful hiking habit!!! :)

Back to regularly scheduled programming......

Dennis and Ed - sorry about the delayed response. Our whole party actually ended up postponing the trip, and now we plan to go in to get Macomb, South Dix, East Dix and Hough on March 16th, 17th, and 18th. If anyone wants to join us, please let me know, and I can give you more details. We will probably hike in starting at about 3pm on that Friday. So far 6 of us plan to go.

the group who went in saturday only made it to macomb.
so unless someone broke it out today, there will be lots of snow

una_dogger said:
Wow! If you can manage to push it to the next weekend (march 24) I think MichaelJ and I would be very interested.

I believe these climbers want these peaks towards Winter Status, which ends March 21st. March 24 would count toward Spring.

2/27 - Update.

We have a group going into the Slide Brook lean-to late Friday (3/2). Saturday morning we will pack up and leave for Macomb. We should have good trail conditions up Macomb on the trail that has been broken by previous groups (Thanks to all before us).

The trail to South and East Dix appears not to be broken out based on all Trip Reports I could find. We will locate and break out the trail.

Since we are carrying full packs up Macomb, we will locate a spot to drop the overnight gear possibly in the col after Macomb, or another location pending conditions.

Last weekend we broke out the Wedge Brook Trail all the way to the Wolfjaws and we are hoping the conditions do improve as long as the weather holds out.

We could use some extra boots to help get this trail open. Contact me for further details.

Ed

A good option to remember:

Guiness, last fall both arms (M-C col, and H-P col) of the Lillian Brook herd paths were finally re-opened. Though they probably won't be broken, they are flagged (and will remain through next summer to establish one distinct path) and might be the perfect way to return back to the Dix trail.