Anyone up for Isolation, 48th hopeful!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunday March 16th looks like a shot for Isolation up Rocky Branch and bushwhack. This blasted peak has been ahead of me for three times now. With the help of Darlene, Jason and a few other friends who are some tough hikers, we are going to knock it off for my final summit to grab my winter 48. We all enjoyed Darlene's W48 Sunday, Although I was present, I couldn't wear the dress like she did :D

We are in search of some strong hikers who can assist in breaking trail. A long train would be really nice. Our intent is to go in early and not stop unless it's a safety issue. We do expect tough going. Hopefully the ice crust will be just as strong there as it was on Moriah, snowshoes did well staying on top off the trail. Looks like there could be some rain the days before which would be a treat. Right now, an eternity away, it looks like few snow showers in the forcast for Sunday, moderate temps, wind.

If you are interested PM me, we are looking to stay overnight, if you want in on some digs let me know and we could book something, 4 to a room.

Hey Steph, Do you want to use my dress, or how about the hat???
They are quite lovely to celebrate your final winter 4000 with.....

I'm there for you and planning on getting that peak for you this time around!!!

Let me know who's joining and we'll plan the car pooling and stayover or not.

Darlene

Great to hear Paradox!!!

I'm all for taking ideas on a start time. For me I can get up whenever and start out. I know others have a more difficult time in the early hours. IMO, the earlier the better, within reason. Throw some numbers out there and we will agree.

Darlene, I think I'll pass on the dress, but the hat and scarf are lovely :p
You must have frozen, adrenaline is a good thing, human antifreeze. I'm scared you may have started a new trend, I'd like to see the guys in dresses too, maybe showing a little thigh :eek:

focusonbalance said:
Great to hear Paradox!!!

I'm all for taking ideas on a start time. For me I can get up whenever and start out. I know others have a more difficult time in the early hours. IMO, the earlier the better, within reason. Throw some numbers out there and we will agree.
Meet at the parking lot at 6:30 am and be on the trail at (edit: see below).

Last edited:
Hey all, I think a solid 7 am start time is good. Meet at 6:30 in the lot, lock and load and move it out.

I'm happy and confident about the time change. I think we have plenty of daylight and strength of what so far seems to be 4 of us, possible 5 or 6. I'm still really hhoping for some rain Friday to strengthen the crust.

Anyhow, if this sounds good to all please chime in :)

focusonbalance said:
Hey all, I think a solid 7 am start time is good. Meet at 6:30 in the lot, lock and load and move it out.

I'm happy and confident about the time change. I think we have plenty of daylight and strength of what so far seems to be 4 of us, possible 5 or 6. I'm still really hhoping for some rain Friday to strengthen the crust.

Anyhow, if this sounds good to all please chime in :)

This is good for me. :)

Hi there!

We might be in too, I have to talk with my "boss"! We were planning to hike somewhere anyway for this last "winter" weekend!

What is the approximate distance + estimated time (I know, it depends ;) )for that trip ?

I will confirm if we go or not!

Time and Distance

Chabela, You've got that right about the time. :confused:
As far as mileage goes, I'm not being precise here, but the bushwhack should take off a few miles or so, so traditionally it would be 14.6 RT, we could probably cut it down to about 11mi. If we do have some nice crust layer thing going on we should be able to do pretty well with time, if it's deep then we will be moving a bit differently. However, with a larger group it will be so much easier and faster going even in deeper stuff.

So, on that note alone I do hope you join us. On another note it would be great to meet you.

Just to note; I don't know if you have been up there in the winter, it has the potential to be a killer of a trip. We are pretty vested in completing it with the focus on safety first, of course. We are not beyond coming out in the dark if conditions are good. I hate to misrepresent the hike to those who have not either done or attempted it in the winter. This is the 3rd attempt for me. All three times were with strong hikers. The depth of the snow just ate us up, that being said, twice there were three of us, the other was just two. I am soooooo looking forward to company :)

The first bushwhack is pretty easy to follow and even if you vary your route a bit, you will end up in the right place. The river crossing at the start of the the second bushwhack can be down right nasty. Everytime I have done it in the winter, there was an early thaw or rain event that washed out any ice bridges and left a trench aobut 6 to 10' deep with water at the bottom. We usually found a fallen tree but crossing in snowshoes while walking on trees was always intresting. The second bushwhack can be real easy except for the final push into the col but its very important to get the right elevation and drift up oor down. Get down low in the valley and it get thick with small trees, get too high and you get cuaght up in spruce traps and thick fir. The ideal route (which I have found once) starts out in very open woods with occasional open areas. and proceeds thru failry mature trees, ending up at the very distinct drainage that runs out of the col. I do not have my maps with me but I think running the elevation that you cut off at engine hill is about the elevation you want to go into the valley.

The other caveat is there is no good way to miss the thick scrub at the col, We have tried veering towards the summit rather than following the low point of the col but it just extends the misery.

A strong group with current snow conditions should be able to do it in a 10 to 12 hour hike.

I hiked Mt Isolation 6/27/06. I just finished uploading the GPS track in Googleearth of my hike to Webshots. The only snow was in the last .2 miles of the Isolation Trail to the Davis Path. In many areas of both the Rocky Branch trail and the Isolation Trail there was a brook running down the length of the trail. The whole thing took me 8.5 hours and my GPS indicated 12.7 miles. I will have the whole track loaded onto my GPS (including bushwhacks around the major brook crossings and the blowdowns in the upper portion of the Isolation Trail) for Sunday. My intention is to do North Isolation (an additional .9 miles) for the Trailwrights List on the way up and then try to catch up with the rest of the group. I am not taking the dogs on this trip.

Googleearth in Webshots

I am really looking forward to this! :)

That stinks Jason!

I'm sorry to hear that Jason. :( This thing is going around. If you make a recovery by Saturday night and feel you can make it ,please show up at the trailhead :eek: Be well!

I wish I could join you Steph but I am hosting a party Saturday night and will have house guests to feed Sunday morning. Congradulations on finishing your winter 48. :)

Hi there!

We didn't decided yet, but we will confirm tomorrow. The only "stopper" event is that we have a supper planned for Saturday night, and it is a 3 hours drive for us to go there. The plan is to leave early the "party" on Saturday night, drive to Gorham so we won't have to get up a 3 am!

Nevertheless, we want to go. Anyway, I'll confirm tomorrow, FocusOnBalance. In case I don't confirm or if we don't show up at 6:30 on Sunday, leave without us.

If the departure time changes, can you PM me ?

We don't consider ourselves "strong" hikers, meaning we are not so fast, but we are not newcomers either. Isolation would be our 24th W4000. Anyway, if we cannot keep the pace, don't worry, we won't hesitate to turn around so we don't slow you down!

Hope to see your there, group!