Aperture (Mac) Software

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
Question for Mac users:
Is anyone familiar with Aperture editing software? The website info says:

"Powerful, Aperture features a RAW-focused workflow from capture to output that makes working with RAW files as easy as JPEG. No need to convert your RAW files before doing anything with them. Aperture automatically creates “versions” of your “master” images to preview, crop, color correct, sharpen, and apply other modifications to. What’s more, they’re all totally non-destructive in nature. Your RAW originals remain perfectly safe because Aperture doesn’t change a single pixel in them.
And with the most powerful image processing in the world, Aperture is fast — whether you’re working with RAW, JPEG, or TIFF images."
I'm wondering how this software compares to Photoshop.

No photo editing software should touch the original. (And even then, it is a good idea to have a copy safely hidden somewhere.)

I don't know anything about the rest of it, but not altering the original is not unique and hardly distinguishes this software from any other serious software.

Doug

I live and breathe by Aperture.

It's first and foremost a workflow manager; import your photos, categorize, organize, rate, tag, caption, etc.

Then you can do a lot of finely-grained and tunable adjustments: color, white balance, sharpness, contrast, cropping, etc. I've always found its editing abilities to be more than adequate for everything I shoot except for blurring license plates. For that ...

You can also export either an original or a modified version to external editing software, and it will suck it back in. Supports 16-bit transfers when going to/from Photoshop.

Everything is done to copies of the original. A master may have one or many subordinates, each with different settings.

Export to all sorts of different filetypes using sets of settings for different qualities, resolutions, filetypes, etc. Also has the ability to build simple web galleries and a bunch of other publishing-type features I don't use.

I think the closest comparision would be Adobe Lightroom. It is not a Photoshop replacement; that kind of editing is a whole different ball game.

Aperture depends pretty heavily on Apple's Core technologies; it uses the graphics card for a lot of the processing. You'll want fast processors and a good graphics card. That said, my dual 2GHz G5 with the non-pro card does a very reasonable job.

I also like aperature when I was using it in trial. As a PC guy, I'll be using lightroom, a similar adobe product as part of my editing workflow, as I find these programs a good compliment to photoshop!

I use Lightroom. Adobe Bridge has not been opened on my computer since I bought Lightroom.

I have never used Aperture before but it sounds like Aperture and Lightroom have similar functionality.

Lightroom also has a 30-day trial.

I did find an aperture vs. lightroom thread on the Luminous Landscape site:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13029

In depth comparisons:
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub...a/2007/03/05/aperture-vs-lightoom.html?page=3
http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/03/05/lightroom-vs-aperture.html

These review Lightroom 1.0... Lightroom 1.1 came with a boatload of improvements.

Thanks everybody for the replies and info. I will download the Aperture 30-day-trial and check it out. I can purchase Photoshop CS3 for MAC at a drastic reduction so that is also in the running.

Together they will do everything you could possibly want to do...

Looking At Options And My Own Workflow

I’ve looked at the demo videos for Lightroom, and find some of the possibilities attractive – especially the tone adjustments feature using Curves. However, I am not about to run out and plunk down $300 for it (or Apple’s version) when Bridge – which came integrated with Photoshop – handles my editing and files management needs very adequately.

I think it is important to consider your own workflow and workflow needs before jumping at any of this stuff. In my case, the workflow is geared to quick turnaround from shoot to end use, in a daily newspaper environment. Quick and decisive picture selection (editing) and pre-press processing is paramount. Archiving is a secondary but still significant part of the flow.

Shooting in JPG format would speed things up, but I prefer RAW for the additional control I can exercise over the final image. So here’s how I proceed.

1) Upload from my camera media card to a laptop computer, using a card reader.

2) Rename the camera image file folder that I’ve moved to the desktop. The folder name includes the date and assignment subject.

3) Open the folder in Bridge. (Gasp! I don’t first make a backup copy of the shoot folder – love living on the edge.)

4) Use the Bridge batch processing tools to append metadata to each image in the shoot. Metadata includes caption information – my name, assignment title, date, location and description of what has been shot, keywords, and copyright information. The information that doesn’t change (my name, copyright info, etc.) is stored as a template.

5) Review and select RAW images using the view options in Bridge, open copies of them in Photoshop, make tweaking adjustments, and save as JPG images (I use a “+” sign in front of the regular filename so the “selects” are bunched up in the folder). At this point I also can add caption specifics to the metadata file – people’s names, specific description of the action, etc., frame-by-frame. This is the final caption that will go to the editors.

6) After this editing, use Batch Processing to rename and copy the selected image files to a new folder. The individual filenames are descriptive of the assignment – JoeDokes01.jpg, or EastSnowhshoeFball01.jpg, for examples.

7) Copy the folder to a CD, for final editing and pre-press color adjustments on a computer in the shop. Or, send selected pictures to the office via e-mail.

8) After final editing and all that rigamarole, go home and have a brewski.

When the dust settles I do things like copy complete assignment folders to an external hard drive and/or to DVDs to archive them. Every few days I delete assignment folders thus archived (8-12 GB of picture data) from my laptop computer hard drive, to make sure there always is plenty of space available.

I know photographers who swear by and use an editing program called Photo Mechanic. It is noted for its speed in handling images and essential photojournalist tasks. One day I may try it to see how it works for me. Still, PM costs $150, and I’ve already paid for Bridge … .

And there is a Photoshop upgrade that I need to purchase. And a good desktop monitor, with calibration software. Time to prioritize. For now it looks like I can better put my money toward something more useful to me on the picture-taking and picture-making end of the process.

G.

Last edited: