Appalachia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Just recieved my winter/spring 2010 edition, and I have 2 things to comment on.

One: Guy Waterman's "Reaching for the Winter Light" (excerps from his journal's from his solo winter trips in the Whites) are awesome!

Second: Mohamed, you did an excellent job covering the accident reports over the past 6-1/2 years. Well done! You will be missed...

i thought you were gonna say something about the trailhead.

One: Guy Waterman's "Reaching for the Winter Light" (excerps from his journal's from his solo winter trips in the Whites) are awesome!

Second: Mohamed, you did an excellent job covering the accident reports over the past 6-1/2 years. Well done! You will be missed...

Agreed on both counts.

Thank you, Mohamed!

Not a member so I don't get it (probably ought to change that) but wonder if anyone knows where I can get a copy...I just finished "Good Morning Midnight" about Waterman and would be interested in the journal entries because they're referenced in the book.

Looking forward to this read when I get home in a couple of weeks. I think that Appalachia is one of the best percs of my AMC membership (see other thread). Lots of old Appalachia's for sale in Steve Smith's shop.

I just dug this out of the mail pile and wow! The journal excerpts of Guy Waterman are a great treasure. Despite all my other gripes about AMC, this is a fantastic journal (Appalachia). I love collecting all the old ones as well.

Frodo, you beat me to it. I thought Guy's journal entries were awesome reading! I love the play by plays on his winter adventures.

and yes, of course, Mohamed was a terrific Accidents Editor for the last several years! I remember spending several days in the woods with Mohamed back before he was editor. Then his name showed up in my next Appalachia and I thought, "Yeah, I'll take what he has to say seriously!"

I've only looked at a few issues of Appalachia, but on my hike in October I had an opportunity to read a lot of old issues in the Cardigan Lodge library... they had issues going back to the 30s or 40s, and I was able to browse a handful of them. It was pretty amazing. Every issue I picked up had something that at the time was new and exciting, and to us now it's just life as normal (for example, "new hut built at mizpah springs," the first Diretissima, a letter to the editor about how things will change due to the new National Scenic Trail designation of the AT, etc.). Makes me wonder what parts of any new issue that seem wild and crazy now might be taken for granted in later years.

I also like that they have a few articles available online. I don't like accumulating more stuff on my bookshelf, but reading on the computer is a good alternative.

Agreed on both counts! Ever since reading the books about Waterman, I've been very interested in his life. Without realizing it, I'm quite sure I saw him on Franconia ridge in the late 80s (unless there was more than one person up there who wore a kilt and a tam) and often find myself thinking of him when I'm wandering in the woods. Thank you Laura Waterman for releasing those notes! And thank you Mohamed!

(and I also enjoyed Laura's story of her return to the ridge in the previous edition of Appalachia)

Not a member so I don't get it (probably ought to change that) but wonder if anyone knows where I can get a copy...I just finished "Good Morning Midnight" about Waterman and would be interested in the journal entries because they're referenced in the book.

I scoff then at either Pinkhams or the Highland center, as I am not a member either.

the Joe Dodge Lodge at PNVC has a lot of old issues in its library/living room. all the way back to Vol 3 which was 1890-something. very interesting reading

the Joe Dodge Lodge at PNVC has a lot of old issues in its library/living room. all the way back to Vol 3 which was 1890-something. very interesting reading
I've lingered late in that library, drawn by the lure of some of the contents. It has also contributed to some later than planned starts for the same reason.

The old issues of Appalachia are a reminder of the serious history of the AMC and how much more significant the organization is than some of our current sniping, though we're not without cause on some matters.

I've also been drawn to the old issues of National Geographic, which I have found to be particularly pertinent to my research to plan trips, particularly to national parks and the like. You know, National Geographic is now available on CD, dating back over 100 years for something like $60. As much as I prefer hard copy, that's something that can cause me to linger late. Has anyone used the CD version?

With respect to Appalachia, I'm going to miss Mohamed's Accident Reports. He had a hard act to follow, Gene Daniels, but he did it well, summarizing cases succinctly and poignantly and with a style, especially to those of us who know him, as many of us do, which makes the cases so much more intimate. Mohamed is a hard act to follow.

As for Guy Waterman, some of his journals are riveting but they've lost a lustre in my mind because of his, final chapter shall we say. To me, it makes everything else a bit anti-climactic and diminishes the deeper significance of his treks.