Are pleather boots really better for the environment?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fashion junk food? Gotta love it.
I wonder if the stuff I make would be considered 'twinkies'?!

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link.

Bit of a straw man, though, isn't it? I think most people who avoid leather do so because they don't want to wear dead animals.

Hmmm! Below is an excerpt from a 2008 article on the adventure.nationalgeographic.com website.

"Perhaps instead of churning out more eco-friendly shoes, suppliers should make fewer. Remember the old-school hiking boot, with its hand-sewn welts and infinite lifespan? Hardly anyone resoles their hiking boots anymore—the art has gone away . . ."

Hmmm! Below is an excerpt from a 2008 article on the adventure.nationalgeographic.com website.

"Perhaps instead of churning out more eco-friendly shoes, suppliers should make fewer. Remember the old-school hiking boot, with its hand-sewn welts and infinite lifespan? Hardly anyone resoles their hiking boots anymore—the art has gone away . . ."

Exactly. I should have posted the MJ link to an earlier thread on this topic, which included Limmer boots, etc., but could not find the thread on a quick search. I do not eat meat for a variety of reasons, but switched from Limmers to synthetic boots many years ago mostly to save weight on my feet. But, after blowing out my third pair of Asolo boots in less than a year each (stitiching, seams, soles, lace hooks, you name it), I bought a light-weight pair of Lowa boots that were on sale. These leather boots felt fine in the shop, but within a few miles wore a huge blister on the medial behind my big toe. Although I never get blisters with my lightweight synthetic boots, I am thinking that I perhaps I can get the leather stretched for a better fit and longer life on the trails. Will see.

Great quote. There's a good reason "reduce" is first word in "reduce, reuse, recyle." Strange it's the least discussed of the three in my experience. Probably because it's seen as the most painful. Tossing an empty water bottle into a bin doesn't take much self-sacrifice.