Article on Lightning Danger

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Someone posted this on the Catskill 3500 Club Yahoo group:

A killer bolting out of the blue

When lightning strikes -- a random, capricious and far more likely occurrence than most people expect -- there's simply no good place to be outdoors.

By Vernon Loeb, Times Staff Writer

FOR the Boy Scouts this summer, lightning struck twice.In late July, Scouts from St. Helena, Calif., were huddled beneath a tarp in Sequoia National Park during a sudden hail storm when a bolt of lightning hit their hastily strung shelter. A Scout and a leader were killed, and six others were injured. Five days later, Scouts from Salt Lake City climbed into sleeping bags in a corner of a three-sided log shelter in the midst of a thunderstorm in Utah's Uinta Mountains when lightning struck a nearby tree and then either flashed through the air or streaked through the ground into the structure, killing an Eagle Scout and injuring three others.While both troops mistakenly followed the understandable, if not natural, tendency to seek shelter from rain and hail - instead of protecting themselves against lightning - lightning safety experts say the twin tragedies underscore a basic truth: There is no safe place to be outdoors in a lightning storm.Compounding the problem is the fact that most people vastly underestimate the danger of lightning. Lightning kills 75 people a year on average in the United States and injures 500 to 700 more, making it more deadly than hurricanes or tornadoes and far more common than people imagine. In most parts of the country, lightning likely strikes the ground 4,000 to 6,000 times a year within 10 miles of recreation facilities such as golf courses, neighborhood swimming pools and rec centers. Lightning is "so random and arbitrary and capricious and unpredictable," said Richard Kithil Jr., head of the nonprofit National Lightning Safety Institute, that "there is an element where 100% of safety is impossible."On the day that members of Troop 7001 moved along the John Muir Trail on the seventh day of a nine-day hike to Mt. Whitney, the tallest peak in the continental United States, 416 lightning strikes had struck the ground within 15 miles of the mountain, according to data from ground sensors recorded by the National Lightning Detection Network run by Vaisala Inc. in Tucson.Although lightning had been flashing throughout the afternoon, the Scouts had encountered hardly any rain until they suddenly found themselves in a storm of pea-sized hail minutes before the lightning struck, said Alexandra Picavet, a ranger and spokeswoman for Sequoia National Park.Afterward, Picavet told Times reporters that "the only thing that they could have done differently was simply disperse a little bit more, but actually they did as well as they could do in the situation that they were in."Similarly, authorities in Utah told the Associated Press that Scouts from Troop 56 lay in the safest place possible, referring to the log shelter, open on one side, at Camp Steiner, the nation's highest-altitude Boy Scout camp, 60 miles east of Salt Lake.Ron Holle, a government meteorologist for 33 years who now works for Vaisala and is considered a leading expert on lightning safety, said both assessments were inaccurate, based on what he'd read of the incidents. Neither the tarp strung between trees in Sequoia National Park nor the open log shelter at Camp Steiner, he said, provided any protection from lightning. Both were near trees that actually might have attracted the lightning bolts.A textbook response would have been far different. "Assume the lightning position when at risk," says the National Outdoor Leadership School's "Backcountry Lightning Safety Guidelines.""This position includes squatting (or sitting) and balling up so you are as low as possible without getting prone. … If you are concerned enough to assume the lightning position, you should have your group dispersed at least 50 feet apart to reduce the chances of multiple injuries."The Scouts lying on the ground inside the log shelter were in a particularly bad position because lightning follows all paths down and spreads out across the ground. About half of all lightning deaths and injuries occur when voltage comes up through a victim's feet. If you're lying down with the full length of your body touching the ground, it's even worse, Holle said, and if you're close to a tree, "we're talking about serious voltage."But Holle said that critiquing what the Scouts did or didn't do is pointless because nothing they could have done out in the open would have necessarily kept them safe. The safest response under such circumstances, he said, would have been to head down the mountain. Or, better yet, not be in the mountains at all that day."My recommendation is - just as you don't go up on Mt. Whitney on the third of January in a raging snowstorm, you don't go up in raging thunderstorms at certain times of year," Holle said. "It really is a decision you have control over." He calculates the odds for an American being hit by lightning sometime in the course of an 80-year lifetime at about 1 in 3,000, with about 1 in 300 odds that a family member will be struck (assuming a family of 10), making lightning a far greater threat in the wild than a fatal shark attack, grizzly bear mauling or rattlesnake bite.Kurt Wedberg, who runs the guide service Sierra Mountaineering International, is aware of the odds. He teaches his clients to assume a lightning crouch on a foam sleeping pad in worst-case scenarios, and he agrees with Holle that the better course of action on some days is "adjusting your itinerary - and sometimes that means getting off a peak a little earlier."Wedberg recently left before sunrise with a group climbing Mt. Russell and reached the summit by 8 a.m. "We were down 4,000 feet or more by the time any significant clouds developed," he said. According to Michael P. Utley, a survivor of a lightning strike who now runs a nonprofit educational organization called Struckbylightning.org, the Boy Scouts hiking in California and Utah made some mistakes when they got hit by lightning, but it's not clear whether anything could have protected them. Arguing they shouldn't have been there misses the point: When else but summer are Boy Scouts supposed to take their nine-day hike to Mt. Whitney?"Basically, it comes down to this: 95% of the time, we are in running distance to a house or a car," he said of the two safest places to be. "The 5% of the time we are out camping like the Boy Scouts, lightning is like a snake bite or a bear. It is a risk of nature."Better to teach CPR - "because everybody who dies from a lightning strike dies from cardiac arrest" - than second-guess Boy Scouts in a hailstorm huddled under a tarp, where human nature took them, Utley said. "If I was in the middle of a lightning and thunderstorm," he said, "I probably would have been there, too."

Lightning Awareness

Thanks for posting the article which was informative and sadly perplexing.

Whenever lightning becomes a subject, I tend to read the story through and try to understand exactly what the conditions were that created the dangerous scenario.
Lightning, however is probably natures most deadliest unpredictable disasters.
As the article mentions, we try to learn what we could have done differently and be better prepared.
Nature has a strange way of giving us messages, and this one, with two non associated Scout troops, leaves us emotionally stirred.
They did everything they could do except be there in the first place as the article states.
Could happen to any of us while hiking, paddling and just being outdoors.
My prayers go out to the families, friends and Scouts.

Upon reading the post further, I was not surprised to hear the words of Mike Utley, lightning survivor, creator of Struckbylightning and NOAA spokesman.
Read Mikes story and his mission at:
Struckbylightning

Or visit the NOAA site for more info in general:
NOAA Lightning Awareness

I am proud to know Mike personally as one of my closest friends. I helped somewhat in his recovery getting him back to Windsurfing and Icesailing.
He has a strong will to live after first, actually dieing on the field from the bolt strike and again in ER, then, being in a coma for nearly a month.
Hospital recovery continued for months and his physical recovery continues daily, five years later.
His mighty come back is nothing short of a true miracle.
Mike now devotes his time to carry the message of lightning awareness.

Brownie

Last edited:
I've been caught out more times than I wish to remember, usually while bicycling, but twice while camping (which, percentage-wise, isn't very good, because I haven't camped all that many nights in my life), and it isn't fun. I always wonder, while I'm crouching on my haunches, if I should remove my belt (because of the metal buckle) and my eyeglasses.

The weirdest time was when I was not outside. My friend and I retreated to his garage during a storm and began tossing a Frisbee back and forth. There was a tremendous boom, and I thought that I saw, through the garage's side window, a lightning bolt strike a puddle a few feet behind Dave. At the same time, he felt as if he was levitated slightly off the floor. But I couldn't actually see the ground from where I stood! Was there a bolt? Was it our imaginations? Neither of us gained any super powers, anyway.

Getting older, I find that lightning makes me more and more uneasy. I especially dislike those bolts that go "hiss-boom!" and deliver a bright flash all at or nearly at the same time. They seem too close for comfort

Raymond said:
. . . The weirdest time was when I was not outside. My friend and I retreated to his garage during a storm and began tossing a Frisbee back and forth. There was a tremendous boom, and I thought that I saw, through the garage's side window, a lightning bolt strike a puddle a few feet behind Dave. At the same time, he felt as if he was levitated slightly off the floor. But I couldn't actually see the ground from where I stood! Was there a bolt? Was it our imaginations? Neither of us gained any super powers, anyway.
I had a similar experience many years ago while hiking in Vermont. Bright flash across a small clearing, and then I was picking myself up off the ground. I'm sure it was a close strike, but exactly how close and why I found myself on the ground I can't really tell. Fright, maybe? I don't think I actually got a jolt. Was endowed with no super powers as a result of the incident, either.

G.

we were on White Mountain peak (at about 13,000') when we got pelted with hail. huge thunderheads started forming and before we knew it, lighning bolts were shooting out of the sky at what seemed to be only a few hundred yards away from us. good thing we turned back when we did...

the following day we found out about that scout troup that was struck by lightning. scary part is that they were just across the valley from where we were...

lightning doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the north east, but it's a serious problem in states like California and Colorado. if you're over 8,000' and you see storm clouds, get the hell out of there.

Yikes!

This thread is nothing but fodder for my nightmares.

I've been bluff charged by grizzlies, followed by curious juvenille bull moose, but I'm only really scared of lightning. And like one of the other authors, it's gotten worse as I've gotten older.

I had a graphite fly rod get "zappy" when a storm blew in on me when I was fishing several years ago out west. I promptly ditched the rod and hunkered down on the bank as the storm crashed all around me. Scared me bad.

I always studied the weather and prepared myself mentally for the eventuality that I'd be caught on or near a ridge during a thunderstorm and, thankfully, have pretty much avoided anything seriously close until a couple weeks ago. It was nothing that I ever expected.

My wife and I were closing windows against rain driven by rapidly shifting winds. Suddenly, a bolt of lightening cut our 60 foot hemlock down to 30 feet. The tree just missed the house, damaging only some gingerbread and the roof on a front entry porch. The lightning, however, continued on its way and bounced to a dormer about 20 feet from the tree. That was the room we were in.

It tore the roof of the dormer, the cornerboard and the window casing about a foot from the framing. It broke 9 pieces of glass in a 12 pane window. Pieces of the wooden frame storm window were found about 100 feet away. Plaster was blasted off the wall all over the room. Everything in the house electronic, even stuff protected against a power surge, was damaged. Wires were shorted and the heat comes on although the thermostat is off!

There was no fire and everything can readily be restored but for an instant, we can honestly say we didn't know what hit us. We escaped unscratched and except for some hearing loss, otherwise uninjured.

The force of nature is impressive.

I've had some choice words for the weather gods lately so if you see me out swarshbuckling and dueling the bolts with my old miltary sword, understand that the injury may have been more serious than we think. ;)

Stan, that is quite a story! Glad you're OK, etc.. I suggest taking it a little easy in confrontations with the Weather Gods, though.

G.

Flash Facts

In National Geographic magazine, a few issues ago, they published an excellent article about lightning and how we understand it today, although still a mystery of nature.

EXERPT from FLASH FACTS on National Geographic website:
(Note:2nd page of interest)

[SNIP]
• A moving thunderstorm also gathers positively charged particles along the ground that travel with the storm. As the differences in charges continue to increase, positively charged particles rise up tall objects such as trees, houses, and telephone poles—and people.

• The negatively charged bottom part of the storm sends out an invisible charge toward the ground. When the charge gets close to the ground, it is attracted by all the positively charged objects, and a channel develops. The subsequent electrical transfer in the channel is lightning.

• If your hair stands up in a storm, it could be a bad sign that positive charges are rising through you, reaching toward the negatively charged part of the storm. That's not a good sign! Your best bet is to get yourself immediately indoors.

• The rapid expansion of heated air causes the thunder. Since light travels faster than sound, the thunder is heard after the lightning. If you see lightning and hear thunder at the same time, that lightning is in your neighborhood. If you see successive strokes of lightning in the same place on the horizon then you are in line with the storm, and it may be moving toward you.

• Not all lightning forms in the negatively charged area low in the thunderstorm cloud. Some lightning originates in the top of the thunderstorm, the area carrying a large positive charge. Lightning from this area is called positive lightning.
Positive lightning is particularly dangerous, because it frequently strikes away from the rain core, either ahead or behind the thunderstorm. It can strike as far as 5 or 10 miles (8 or 16 kilometers) from the storm, in areas that most people do not consider to be a lightning-risk area.

• During a thunderstorm, each flash of cloud-to-ground lightning is a potential killer. The determining factor on whether a particular flash could be deadly depends on whether a person is in the path of the lightning discharge.
In addition to the visible flash that travels through the air, the current associated with the lightning discharge travels along the ground. Although some victims are struck directly by the main lightning stroke, many victims are struck as the current moves in and along the ground.

• If you can hear thunder, you are within 10 miles (16 kilometers) of a storm—and can be struck by lightning. Seek shelter and avoid situations in which you may be vulnerable.

• Use the 30-30 rule, when visibility is good and there is nothing obstructing your view of the thunderstorm. When you see lightning, count the time until you hear thunder. If that time is 30 seconds or less, the thunderstorm is within six miles (ten kilometers) of you and is dangerous. Seek shelter immediately.
[SNIP]

Brownie comment:
I have heard backcountry stories about what is called "St Elmo’s Fire" as witnessed by hikers who saw the ground flashing immediately around them and have their skin crawl and hair rise, just as the region gets this positive charge. Then, the actual cloud strike occurs within yards nearby.
That is as close as you want to ever get! :eek: :eek:
All we can do when in backcountry is crouch on your sleep pad and your pack too, as long as its frameless.

Stan, that was serious! Glad you are alright.

Last edited:
Holy crap, Stan! :eek:

My house was hit in the middle of the night back in 1994. Actually, I think the main bolt hit a very large oak tree that stood just 10-15 feet from the house becuz the next day, a large black "burn" mark extended from the ground all the way up the side of the tree. But the house must have gotten hit because when I went downstairs to see if there was any damage or fire, the microwave was running! I turned it off and quickly discovered that it still appeared to work, but the interior light didn't work and the digital display was all messed up. Funny side-story - - - next morning I rifled thru my filing cabinet to find the warranty on the microwave .... I found that it had less than 1 week left on a 1 year warranty! So, I took it to a local repair depot. A few days later when I returned to pick it up, the guy asked me what the heck happened to it. Trying my damndest to keep a straight face, I just said, "I dunno, the light inside just stopped working and the clock is acting kinda funny". The repair guy was like "well I never seen a printed circuit board that was so charred" and I said "but is still seemed to cook stuff". The guy just shook his head and I remember reading the fine print in the warranty later that night and thinking that they never would have fixed it for free had they known it was hit by lightning! :D :D

Living near the top of the highest hill in the local area we are subject to strikes quite frequently. I have lost a computer that was unplugged from the power lines though not unplugged from the phone lines. The external modem had old ceramic IC's that were blown in half. The bolt then proceeded to cook all the transceiver chips in my computer. Actually pretty cool. I still have the modem chips somewhere. The computer still worked but couldn't talk to any outside devices. No rs232 anymore. :( When lightning strikes occur and cause damage to a computer, most of time the damage comes in through the phone lines, not the power lines. Make sure you unhook your phone line as well as power lines.

We had a tree struck across the street and I looked later and could see the lightning had passes down the tree under the bark blowing it off and causing a burn and jumped off the tree to an underground invisible dog fence which had been ruined and the wire melted.

Another tree strike among a whole group of trees was the same type of thing. Upon examination of the tree I found that a very old rusted piece of barbed wire had caused the tree to be stuck and the lightning passed under the bark blowing it off and causing a burned gouge in the side of the tree. The burn stopped at a nail in the tree holding the barbed wire and I assume traveled down the wire into the ground.

Had another strike on/near the house one time that blew my electric heater panel off in the basement bathroom and blew the dust inside all over. Still cannot figure that one out. :confused:

Just one thing that has already been pointed out. If you can hear thunder then you are close enough for the lightning to hit you. Bolts have been recorded as long as 30 miles in length. Take appropriate precautions. And if someone is struck. They have a very good chance of being revived with CPR if their heart has stopped.

Keith

So Grumpy, you've always had the sense of ten men?

There's a dramatic photograph at the Roaring Brook ranger station at Baxter State Park (at least there was a couple years ago) that shows a couple children with their hair sticking out from their heads like they're at a science museum playing with some kind of generator... except that they were up on the mountain, and the caption says that the photo was taken just before they were struck and killed by lightning.

Waumbek recently had a good tip he or she picked up from the new edition of "Scudder's White Mountain Viewing Guide" and passed on in another thread. The author, Brent Scudder, carries a small radio while he hikes and listens to AM between stations to detect distant lightning. Gives him plenty of time to retreat when he hears the distinctive crackles.

I listened to my car radio for a minute or two before beginning a hike last Thursday. Didn't hear anything, so off we went.

Raymond said:
The author, Brent Scudder, carries a small radio while he hikes and listens to AM between stations to detect distant lightning. Gives him plenty of time to retreat when he hears the distinctive crackles.

I listened to my car radio for a minute or two before beginning a hike last Thursday. Didn't hear anything, so off we went.
The AM radio trick works, but it can also pick up lightning hundreds of miles away.

The car radio tells you about conditions when you are in the car, not hours later when you are near the peaks. Carrying a small radio would be far more informative.

Doug

Brownie comment:
I have heard backcountry stories about what is called "St Elmo’s Fire" as witnessed by hikers who saw the ground flashing immediately around them and have their skin crawl and hair rise, just as the region gets this positive charge. Then, the actual cloud strike occurs within yards nearby.
That is as close as you want to ever get!

When I was about 11 or 12, I was down at the beach with one of my older brothers watching as an early fall storm was blowing in. We're watching the waves and rain clouds blowing in while leaning on an aluminum hand rail when we both hear a hum from the lights above us. Thinking that the dark sky is causing them to come on, I look up at the one past my brother's head and see flashes above them but also quickly notice that his hair is standing out from his head. He sees mine doing the same and we both immediately get our arms off the rail and take a few steps back.

We're standing there, slightly confused as to what to do next when suddenly a single bolt of lightning hits just past the breaking waves leaving a white foam circle about 40 yards across and what I now know is the smell of ozone in the air.

I've never been that close since and never want to again.

This photo - if authentic - just about says it all.

Note the secondary (positive) streamer from the tree, and the other one reaching up from the telephone pole to the far left !

(My first attempt to attach)

lightning info

Here is URL about lightning http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg.php

Lightning is very dangerous and can even strike with out a cloud in sight.
It seems that this summer there has been alot in many of our favorite hiking and climbing areas . . Watching the weather and cloud build up plus being willing ot turn around are your best bets for not getting hit or dealing with it when seen in reasonble safty lightning is amazing and awe inspiring . BTW it is hotter than the sun!