Asquam Ridge Trail and Mt. Jim

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torn&frayed

Reaction score
Just curious about why the name "Asquam" (I hope I spelled it right, my maps are at home) does not appear on any of the Dartmouth Outing Club's signs.
Every sign that I encountered simply called it the "Ridge Trail".
By the way, it really is a great trail.
Hey while I'm asking questions, how much is the elevation gain from the low point between Mt. Jim and Mt. Moosilauke? I'll bet it doesn't miss the 200' requirement (4,000 footers club) by much.

The Asquam Ridge is a shortened version of Asquamchumauke, the native name for what we now call the Baker River. The Asquam Ridge is the ridge that runs from Blue/Jim, all around to Sayre Peak. The Asquam part does seem to have been dropped from the maps but it's still commonly referred to as the Asquam Ridge trail.

IIRC, the drop is around 150', maybe less. I think the col between South Peak and the main peak is slightly deeper.

Oct 1 report

The Ridge Trail is gradual, but on Wednesday, VERY WET and rainy. Thank goodness for the bridges, the river would have been impossible to cross.