AT from Caratunk to Monson

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle

Reaction score
Date: 7/20 through 7/22/08

Trail: AT from Caratunk to Monson

Conditions: Trail was extremely muddy. Could use bog bridges in too many spots to name! But especially atop Moxie Bald Mountain, where the treadway is narrow through the sheep laurel, etc and people are beginning to tramp down the vegetation. A good number of blowdowns throughout the 36.7 mile section as well. Trail also turned into a stream in several spots due to the rain we had Sunday night. Most of the river/stream crossings were running high. We had to ford both the West Branch and East Branch of the Piscataquis River, with the West Branch being the highest and swiftest. It was up to the top of my thighs (I'm 5' 3")! Also forded Bald Mountain Stream.

Comments: As noted above, the trail was very wet and muddy. Hence, we were very wet and muddy! Still, it was a nice trip. Moxie Bald Mountain was a highlight, with great views and lots of yummy blueberries along the summit ridge. We also enjoyed passing by the many lakes and ponds, and saw/heard loons on both Bald Mountain Pond and Hebron Lake. We slept by streams both nights, and the sound of the water was soothing. Saw lots of bunchberries, blue beads, indian pipe, a few wood sorrel, milk weed, queen anne's lace, and Canada Lilies along the river's edge with many by the East Branch crossing. Also many southbound thru-hikers making their way further south.

Photos can be viewed here