AT in NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPD1600

Reaction score
I'm currently planning a small section hike on the AT in NY from the NY/NJ State line to NY Rt. 55. I haven't been on the AT in some time and thus my map and guidebook set is a bit dated. I currently have the NY/NJ map and books copyright 1998, 14th edition. Can anyone tell me if there have been any significant chagnes on the AT since this publication that would make it worthwhile for me to purchase the new edition of maps and book?

Thanks in advance
Joe

If you're ending on Hoyt Rd off 55 in CT, that's the current trail on this end.
My previous AT map was from about 1980 and that showed the old trail coming into CT further north. I don't know about any other changes since 98, but I'm not up on the NY section.

There has been a minor reroute of the AT in the vicinity of Bear Mt, other than that I don't think the route has changed much. I see you are from Queens, I imagine you may already have the Trail Conference Harriman, Sterling Forest, North Jersey and East Hudson map sets. All of your route except the last section north from Fahnestock to Rt 55 is shown on these maps. I prefer these maps because they show the side trails in more detail, which is very useful if you make a wrong turn or need to bail out.