Backcountry ski trips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite back country/x-c ski trip that they could recommend? My friends and I are trying to find some new places to explore on our X-C skis. We would prefer to stay near Waterville Valley, but will consider any trip. We're open to spotting cars and going one way.
Thanks, Skibones

Low Hanging Fruit

Well, let's get the easy ones out of the way:

Al of WV systems

Greeley Ponds, from either side;

Hancocks, at least to the loop, if not all the way around;

Livermore Trail, either side

Pretty much the whole Kanc: pick a side & go;

There's a network on the northern side, good for spotting;

Lincoln Woods, of course;

Map Adventures' White Mountains map has a guidebook with some good winter objectives; see The Mountain Wanderer.

That oughta get things started...

Good Luck!

The USFS publishes info on X-C and backcountry skiing trails online at WMNF -- Recreation -- Winter Activities -- Skiing. You'll find trail descriptions there. They also publish free hard copy maps and descriptions for the trails. You'll find those at ranger stations and info centers.

The Map Adventures White Mountains Waterproof Trail Map shows skiing trails (as well as other trails.) It's very handy for planning longer trips, as you can see the terrain over a large area on a single sheet. (Note that on the 2000 edition that I have, contours are in meters, with spot elevations in meters and feet. I don't know what's used on the newer third edition; maybe someone here does?)

"Backcountry Skiing Adventures: Classic Ski and Snowboard Tours in Maine and New Hampshire" by David Goodman lists a bunch of routes of varying difficulty.

Doug

Thanks alot. All this information will give us a good start to venture into some back country areas that we haven't skied yet.
Skibones.