Backcountry Skiing/Boarding on the Bigelows

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is possible? Has anyone skied down the trails before? I've hiked the AT from the south and across the ridge, over little bigelow, and out, but never been on the Warden's Trail and can't remember the rest.

And this is assuming there will be snow at some point, of course.

Pat and I have skied up and back on the
Eastern end of the trail up towards Little Bigelow. It was doable with 3' of base but not all that exciting. I seem to recall thinking that the other end of the trail down Cranberry would be doable--but sometimes I see these things through rose colored glasses. Access is difficult, but I bet there would be some lines on Spaulding and Abraham South of Sugarloaf.

As we winter hiked down the Firewarden's Tr, an expert DH skier in the group claimed he could ski down it. I'm not sure we believed him, but he didn't have his skis with him.

I don't remember if he was wearing colored glasses or not...

Doug

Theoretically you could do jump turns down the firewarden's trail, but it wouldn't really be enjoyable. There really isn't enough above treeline territory in the Bigelow's to make it worthwhile to carry skis up. I slid down a good portion on my butt, and that was real fun. carry a sled and a helmet with you, that would be a real fun adventure!

The backside snowfields at Sugarloaf are amazing when there is enough snow. I would recommend a hike up there and a ski down. It is the best skiing in the east when it is open. Sadly most of my memories of that were when i was a lot shorter....