Backpack on airplanes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviarome

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm meeting a friend out west to do some backpacking and was wondering how people take their backpacks. Do you pack it normally and just check it in, or do you put it into a larger piece of luggage? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've done both for backpacking/climbing trips with no problems. If I check just the backpack I make sure all of the straps are pulled tight and I either take off the hipbelt and put it inside or just tighten it.
Recently I've bought a huge duffle and just throw the backpack inside of it. That way when they go through my luggage, the bag doesn't have to be repacked too well by the inspectors who may damage something - they can just put a bit of overthrow in the duffle. I also worry less about it getting hung up on anything in the airport.
Have a good hike!

I fly out west fairly frequently. . I am not saure exactly what you are asling. If your pack is either too big, usually around 20 inchges long and 12 -15 inches wide . is the maximun for carry one many airlines limit you to two carry one items . I strongly suggest you put you most valuble items in a carry one . this excludes stoves lice axes , cramposn and knives .
It is porbaby best just to pack you back pack for hiking and check it in. making sure the attendants know wher the stove is do not fly with a fules bottle it will probably be confiscated unless it is new and does not have even the slightes secent of fuel . You cannot bring gas cannisters at all buy them when you get to your destination.
I have used a day pack as a carry one . It works ok and can be convient as it is one less thing you have to juggle. Ther is frequently a weigt limt on checked luggage and a sur charge if you exceed it for each piece of luggage I find it to be around 50 lbs. and the sur charge around $25.
If you are in any doubt call the air line you are flying on.

I've only flown with my backpack twice. The first time was to Newfoundland. We did nothing except tie up the straps. The pack arrived unscathed except for a slightly bent stove (easily fixed). The second time was from Albany to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whitehorse (Yukon). For this trip the airlines wrapped our packs in plastic. Worked just fine. I do like the dufflebag idea, and will probably use it when we go to Europe this summer.

Dick

I also use a duffle, it really saves on the wear and tear on the backpack, it protects the straps, buckles and zippers. Plus, it's a very convenient way to carry your other gear.

Some airlines will have large plastic bags for your use. On a recent trip I used a large duffle, bought it cheap off of e-bay. Others in our group used large garbage bags on the way out. On the return trip some decided the bags were too much of a hassle. One of them had a hip belt ripped off during transit.

Tony

Im a solo day hiker so I carry on my pack and wear my boots, they can lose all my other luggage and I can still climb. In the cases I need alot of gear I duffle it all with no lock, Ive been lucky so far.

Put the pack in a duffel bag. The straps are likely to catch in the baggage handling machinery. And these days, there is no telling how the inspectors may "repack" it.

If you are using a frame pack, empty it and pad the frame with clothing. If it is dropped frame-side down, the frame can be broken or bent. And frames can also catch on the machinery.

Airlines are notorious for destroying packs...

Doug

Last edited:
Military Duffel Bag

I picked up a "war surplus" Olive Green duffel bag at the Surplus Place in No Conway years ago for use in my many trips to Scotland. My internal frame 5000 cu in expedition backpack fits into the duffel bag and the D bag has shoulder straps for moving it around. No worries! When I base camp at a hostel or the like, the D bag then becomes the spare gear bag to be checked or hidden. I usually carry my day pack as carry on luggage.

Last edited:
I have a 10,000" inch duffel. The pack goes inside of it with the pointy and more fragile stuff swaddled in clothing.

In my opinion, just checking the pack is looking for trouble. Straps, even tightened can snag on stuff. Zippers can be ripped, or the material abraded.
I always wear my broken in boots, and carry a day pack with enough stuff to get me by for a couple of days in case the duffle gets misrouted.

We have a HUGE duffle that we can both fit our fully packed expedition packs in (over 5,000 cu in each). We check and use this when we fly for all the reasons others have mentioned (straps, rips, lost gear, etc.).

Another useful tip, if you are bringing pole, which we always do, put them in thick cardboard tubing and put the tibes in the duffle. This will reduce the risk of them getting bent. When you're flying, the only thing that should get bent is snooty airline desk clerk! :D

When Iwent out to Utah last year I used my internal frame backpack as carry on luggage with no problem. I packed most of my gear in a suitcase, though, in order to protect it. I did not want to use my pack as checked luggage as I thought it would get really beat up. So I used one suitcase and one backpack.
I guess if I did not want to use the suit case I would use a cardboard box instead, and throw it away after I arrived at my destination.

woodstrider said:
When Iwent out to Utah last year I used my internal frame backpack as carry on luggage with no problem.
Don't forget that many airlines are placing size limitations on carry-ons. My 1600 cu in daypack is about the limit.

woodstrider said:
I guess if I did not want to use the suit case I would use a cardboard box instead, and throw it away after I arrived at my destination.
As long as you can get another box or have an alternate way of shipping your gear home.

Doug

Last edited:
I always use two large duffels for my checked baggage (usually limited to 50 pounds each my many airlines), with large backpack inside one, and items like the tent and thermarest and other stuff that can get punctured inside the pack, therefore providing an extra layer of protection. I carry as much weight as I can in my carry-on daypack, which in the old days included all of the ironware for rock climbing (it was comical watching us lift a 40-pound daypack trying to make it look light).

Go to Campmor.com and do a search for duffel; There are several choices including a couple for $15