Backpacking tent care for newbie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLBoeri

Reaction score
I just purchased a new backpacking tent (my first), an LL Bean Lightstuff 2. I have a couple of questions. Do you roll it and the fly prior to putting it into the stuff sack or stuff it? Folding and rolling seem likely to wear permanent creases into the fabric. How about storage (like over the winter). Should I keep it in the stuff sack or give it more room? Do you always use a footprint when setting up? A couple of weeks ago, we climed Mt. Liberty and set up at the Liberty Spring tent site. How do you deal with staking out the fly on a wooden platform? Finally, how about compression stuff sacks for it when hiking? The stuff sacks they all come with seem a little large for the pack.

I hope you are enjoying your first BP tent!

Here are my $.02:

1)I always stuff for the reason you mentioned

2)store the poles extended if you have room (allows the elastic cord to relax for long periods of time)

3)make sure tent is absolutely dry before putting it away - other than that, I don't make much fuss about putting it away for a long time

4)always use the footprint to minimize chance of damage to the floor. (on snow it isn't as important)

5)I've found stakes can be crammed pretty well between the boards on many tent platforms. You can also tie a taughtline hitch around the end of the board and tighten as needed. There are usually large rocks and trees nearby also. I always leave several feet of p-cord attached to the stakeouts on my tent for times like that.

6)I swear by compression sacks for everything but tents. tent size doesn't really bother me much, but I usually put the poles on the outside of the pack and shove the rest of the tent into the bottom.

These things work for me, but I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice from others here. There must be a combined experience of 10,000 years of backpacking represented on VFTT...

good luck,

spencer

Mostly agree...

1. I've never used a ground sheet, and I've never had any problems.

2. I store the fly and tent separately in larger stuff sacks...just so everything isn't quite so crammed. Not sure it really matters, though.

3. Tent platforms can be a pain, and there is not "best" way. A little imagination goes a long way. For example, if the platform is elevated, drop a guy line between the boards and attch to a rock. This is a new trick I just tried a couple weeks ago, and it worked great to keep the backside of the fly tight and secure. (Also worked, because we were sharing a platform.)

A footnote to Spencer's point #3 -- putting your tent away dry. Dampness can cause mildew on the nylon. It happened to a tent of mine and it took a lemon bath and a lot of wasted time to get rid of the smell..etc.
When on a hike and your tent was wet from the night rain or morning dew and the weather has cleared, you might carry the fly on the outside of your pack, so you can easily get to it to dry it out if you stop for a lunch break. Sun dries nylon quickly.

Whenever I can, I use a groundsheet of some kind. I wore the coating off the bottom of a great tent (TNF Big Frog) by not doing so and now that tent is discontinued. Newer tents are probably better coated. I hear that people are using the very lightweight yet resilient building wrap called "Tyvek" to cut a footprint. It's hard to get small pieces of that stuff so look for construction sites that have leftovers if you want to try it. I'll second the importance of drying the tent before storing. If you have a garage or barn, sacrifice it for several days to drying your tent. Put some nails in the rafters and use bungee cords to pitch the tent upside down so that air circulates through the entire tent. If you just stretch it out on the ground, there's always condensation somewhere. No garage or barn, try the living room? Just duck when you walk through....

W usually break down all our gear,as soon as we get home. Tents get pulled out and aired out to dry,and just as important,we pull out the sleeping bags to air out. We do the same with our kayaking gear. Everything rinsed and dried for storage. Gear can last a long time in good shape with a little care.
We always use a groundcloth,year round,even on the snow. With some of the tarp out in front of the tent,it's a good place to pull boots off,and store gear so it doesn't dissapear into the snow.

Yup, thoroughly drying before storing is critical. Also, not sure how much it matters, but FWIW, Sierra Designs has instructions on their website for tent care including a suggested combination fold and roll storage technique.

I invested in a box of screw hooks and screwed them into the joists in my basement ceiling. When I come home from each trip, I immediately hang the tent/fly/ground sheet and leave them there for a few days.

For long term storage, I use the stuff sacks it came in. No issues yet.

And reading comments here, I went from being a folder to a stuffer. Well, actually, I still fold a bit then stuff. I'm working on it though.

Tent being staked on wooden platforms

If you have the problem of staking down your tent on a wooden platform. There is a simple thing you can bring with you on the hike. All you need is a package of eye hooks and strap ties. Twist in the eye hook by each corner of the tent and put the strap tie through the eye of the hook and then through the stake loops of your tent. Then connect the strap tie together.Your tent will be staked down for the night. In the morning cut the strap ties and move out. Make sure you bring enough for each corner of your tent each night your are sleeping on a wooden platform.
I have tried it works. Have fun backpacking.
Kurt