Bad news on Rainier

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Don't know if you've heard about it, but 2 climbers from Cape Elizabeth, Maine are stranded on Mt. Rainier after one of them fell and sustained a serious head injury (despite wearing a helmet). Sounds like they did everything right, had plenty of experience, gear, fuel and food, but weather and a true accident put them into a tough spot. Their names are Peter Cooley (the injured person) and Scott Richards.

Even though the guys are from my town, I don't know them, though I do know many people who do.

The story is at http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/05/17/climbers.stranded.ap/index.html and http://www.pressherald.com/news/local/040517rainier.shtml

Let's hope for the best.

Just heard on the morning news that although rescued, sadly Peter Cooley did not make it. Search and Rescue are with the other climber at about 9000ft (as of this morning) and making there way down the mountain today.

Very saddened of the news of Peter Cooley. My heart goes out to all his family and friends. Having all the correct gear and experience under their belts. WOW, sad, very sad indeed.
John

Liberty Ridge no stranger to tragic endings

I'm sad to hear he did not make it. I read where he had been evacuated and was hopeful the rescue was a success.

Liberty Ridge is one of the most dangerous and technical routes on Ranier. A majority of the serious climbing accidents on Ranier happen there, even though the climbers are usually very experienced compared to the other routes. I believe this is where the helicopter crashed during a rescue attempt few years back - there was dramatic video on the evening news of the blades shearing off as they struck the mountain and the helicopter rolling down the slope. Amazingly no one was killed in that crash.

Sounds like these guys were doing everything right but happened to end up in the line of fire at the wrong moment.

I was supposed to be heading for Ranier in a few weeks - but our plans fell through. I still plan on going in the future, although we will attempt a less dangerous route such as Schurman or Disappointment Cleaver.

You may be right.

I read about the Whitcomb incident and assumed it was the one I saw on the news. Didn't consider there could have been more than 1 helicopter accident on a mountain in that time frame

Not sure if anyone else caught this... I just happened to be flicking by when I found it.... but there was a pretty in depth feature on the Mt Hood incident on NightLine tonight (or maybe it was Dateline.... I cant recall, but it is not on either of their webpages).

It profiled all involved and interviewed many of the survivors as well as the rescuers. It explained exactly what happened with the initial accident (a rope team fall that eventually brought 2 other rope teams down with it and ended in a crevasse), to the rescue accident (the result of a decision to use a heavier helicopter).

Pretty intense but very informative.

Last edited: