Bag or liner for night at hut ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
This will be the first time that i will be spending at a hut, madison spring. I'm doing a presi traverse over one night. First day hike up hit Madison and Adams then back to the hut. Next day Jefferson skipping washington and then on to the southern presi's. I was wondering the hut provides 3 wool blankets so says the website. Should i bring a liner and skip on the bag or bring a warm bag ? I have neither so i will have to buy either.

Thanks Jason

8-15 is the night i will be spending at the hut.

JasonPatrikz said:
... Should i bring a liner and skip on the bag or bring a warm bag ? I have neither so i will have to buy either.
You definitely do not need a bag. I put 2 or 3 of the wool blankets under me, and sleep in a liner. I've been too warm sometimes even this way!

Check the forecast before you decide. Even in August there can be nights in the 40's. I have a small fleece liner bag that I usually carry in summer for hut trips.

-dave-

I usually do summer huts with just a liner. I carry enough fleece so that if for the old reason that & the three blankets were not enough, fleece pants & top plus 3 wool blankets would be

I've never used a liner (instead of a sleeping bag) but have thought about it.

I have a backpacking sleeping bag that weighs about 1.5 lbs & squishes down very compact. It's only rated down to 40 F but for hut / hostel use it's been great.