Bald faces & Eagle Craig?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I’m in process of finishing the 52 WAV list. If I climb to the top of the two Baldfaces, would it be a good idea to continue along the bald face circle trail and tag Eagle Crag? Keep in mind that I am 74 years old and it’s a little more difficult for me. I don’t hear of many others who do all three. Should I be ok?

Last edited:
FYI, unless you like scrambling, consider Slippery Brook trail as an alternative to the standard route. Its a former logging road to the top of the ridge and gives some alternative views that one does not get going up over the ledges. It is long day and there is no reliable water on the ridge. Make sure you plan in advance on your water needs.

I’m in process of finishing the 52 WAV list. If I climb to the top of the two Baldfaces, would it be a good idea to continue along the bald face circle trail and tag Eagle Crag? Keep in mind that I am 74 years old and it’s a little more difficult for me. I don’t hear of many others who do all three. Should I be ok?
It is very easy to add on Eagle Crag, I had the same concerns taking my dog over the range as I didn't want to overdo it with him. Turned out to be a very easy out and back to EC. I also did not go up the Baldface trail to South peak, I took the Slippery brook trail, which leaves from the main trail shortly after circle junction. While this trail does add some distance, it eliminates the steep ledges on South Baldface and the added distance is mitigated by the friendliness of the route in terms of difficulty. As far as the decent route after Eagle crag, we doubled back and went down the Bicknell ridge trail and it was a fine route to descend. In two weeks we plan on repeating this exact route. Good luck on your trip, you need any other info, let me know.

I did the exact route described by Sierra a few years back. Slippery Brook up and Bicknell Ridge down. The Baldfaces are unique and that hike is one of my favorites in the White Mts. You also get a nice outlook from Baldface Knob when you cut across from the Slippery Brook Trail to the Baldface Circle Trail. I don't think it's on any list but Baldface Knob is about the same height as Eagle Crag and they kind of bookend the 2 Baldfaces. The Baldfaces may be "just" mid-3K peaks but you're starting down at 520 feet so this hike is harder than some 4ks. It's a gem.

“Slippery brook also makes Eastman an easy get if you haven't hit that one yet”

yes, I noticed that on the map. I think I’ll do that one first. Thanks.

I really had my hopes up for doing this hike on Saturday, but I guess I’ll have to cancel because of the uncertain weather conditions. Any thoughts or opinions?

I really had my hopes up for doing this hike on Saturday, but I guess I’ll have to cancel because of the uncertain weather conditions. Any thoughts or opinions?
It's not a safe place to be in a thunder/lightning storm, there are no bail out points and you will be subjected to the full force of any weather. I checked my apps before responding and I personally would wait for a better forecast. Me and my dog need them too and plan on going up later this week. The weather pattern will change after Tuesday and it looks much better.