Basin #44 Saddleback #45 8-13-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtLady

Reaction score
My intent was to finish my 46's with HaBaSa but changed my mind (yes I'm a woman) at the intersection at Haystack and Basin. I always wanted to finish on Haystack and thought it would be nice to do it by itself, leaving enough time to celebrate and spent lots of time on the summit.

Anyway we left the JB at 6:30 with amazingly dry trails. We ran into campers from Martha's vineyard at Bushnell Falls at 7:30. We exchanged stories and then moved on. As we approached Slant Rock at 9:00 there were ALOT of tenters and we moved quietly along. As I approached the intersection, I stood for a few minutes and said......Take A Left. That was it. Next thing I know we are on Basin at 11:30 exchanging stories with a father and son who had done the APTrail. Amazing stories. They advised me of the cliffs on Saddleback and they took off. As I approached the cliffs I was surprised they were not as difficult as I had heard:D and got a standing applause from the father and son on top at 12:30. Nice feeling. Stayed for about a half hour, took more pics and began our trip back after hearing thunder coming our way. The last half mile we were soaked :(but made it back safely to JB at 3:00.

Another amazing day in the Dacks.

I finished the 46 with a single summit hike to Haystack, and it was an amazing day, well worth it, its such an awesome summit- I am so glad I waited for the perfect weather (7 months wait!) and had plenty of time to lounge on the summit!
Congrats on your upcoming finish, and welcome to VFTT!

I finished the 46 with a single summit hike to Haystack, and it was an amazing day, well worth it, its such an awesome summit- I am so glad I waited for the perfect weather (7 months wait!)
Una-summit? or Una-waiter-foreverer? I notice still Una -99er!:p

My intent was to finish my 46's with HaBaSa but changed my mind (yes I'm a woman) at the intersection at Haystack and Basin. I always wanted to finish on Haystack and thought it would be nice to do it by itself, leaving enough time to celebrate and spent lots of time on the summit.
Very good decision! Wait for one of those beautiful, calm blue-bird days and spend hours up there.

Like they all said.... excellent decision to finish on Haystack. I did the same thing on one of those perfect days. Such a memorable peak and worth sav(or)ing for last. :)

Posting at 5:16 AM on a Sunday Morning ? Don't you ever sleep in ?

Way to go Bonnie, sounds like you handled that real easy !

And now to schedule #46. I don't know about you but it'll be bittersweet.

Hey Rookie,,,,you're back! Could have used a foot rub on this one for sure.:D Hope you had a great time with the kids.
BW