basin and saddleback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
what is the best way to do this loop? I would rather go up a rockface than down it :eek: . I herd that one of them has a tricky rock climb. also, what are the water source on this trail. I herd there was a water source to the west of basin summit.

If you want to hike up the rockface of Saddleback you'll have to approach from the southwest and hike to the northeast. From your starting point you'll need to get to the junction of the Shorey short Cut and Range Trail, hike up Basin down to the col and then up the rockface of Saddleback. Once on top of Sadleback you'll descend to the trail junction with the Orebed trail. You have a choice to descend via Orebed or continue on the range trail over Gothics. A good reference is the ADK Trail Guide for the High Peaks Region. Once on the Range trail there is little water so stock before the climbing the peak. The closest water source will depend on where you are hiking in from.

I hiked the Basin-Saddleback loop via the Orebed trail to the Range trail -Saddleback-Basin- Shorey Short Cut-Slant Rock- Phelps trail to JBL- then back to the Orebed Leanto. Going down the Saddleback rockface was not to bad-good hike. i saw a porcupine on the Phelps trail an awesome site. Good luck. :)

I agree with Tracker. Going over Basin and then Saddleback is preferable. There is a decent handhold to make the one move you need to get over the slab at the Saddleback summit, also you get to climb up the long ladder on the approach to Basin and not descend it.

The approach to Slant Rock is long but not steep. The Shorey is steep and it is really frustrating as you lose about 1000 ft that you know you are just going to have to climb again! At one point the Basin summit looks very close only to disappear as you continue going down to meet the range trail. Once on the range trail things start happening quickly and you are up and on both summits in a relatively short period.

I left the garden at 0730 was at Slant Rock before 0930 and on the Basin Summit before noon.

Last month there was a pretty good pool of water just as you start up Basin from the connector trail. Unless it is very hot you should be able to carry enough water to do the loop. Good luck

JimB said:
Last month there was a pretty good pool of water just as you start up Basin from the connector trail. Unless it is very hot you should be able to carry enough water to do the loop. Good luck

Just a bit down the trail (back towards Haystack, near the snobird camping area), there's running water. When I plan a trip up there I count this as a possible filtration spot because it's continually flowing and fresh.

I'm in agreement that Shorey Shortcut over Basin and to Saddleback is the easiest means of accomplishing both.

dib,if you think there's some elevation loss from the Shorey to the Range trail, it's going to get serious if you go on to the former Snowbird site to get water. Not to mention it's in the opposite direction of where you're going. Fill up at Slant Rock and you'll be fine. Enjoy!