Basin & Saddleback #40/41 09-30-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK Rick

Reaction score
Avon Connecticut Avatar: #46! Haystack summit
A spectacular day in the High Peaks! Pictures HERE

After much debate about routes I wisely took the advice given me and settled on the "counter-clockwise" route from JBL. Good advice!

Drove up from CT thurs night and stayed at the Hostel. Stayed up to listen to the end of the Red Sox game :) knowing that getting up extra early wouldnt help me since I am not a headlamp kind of guy. Got to the Garden at about 6:00 well ahead of usable sunlight. Ominously, there was a tree down in the parking lot that had done a real number on someone's SUV. I wondered how much blowdown I would encounter after thursday's high winds. Ironically, that tree would be the only one I would see down all day.

Hit the trail at 6:23, barely daylight and about 35 degrees. Stopped once to peel a layer and made JBL at 7:55. Bear Brook LT and Deer Brook LT were both occupied, the latter by a bright yellow tent right in the center :mad: :mad: :mad: . There was also a bear bag suspended directly over the trail between the outpost and JBL...apparently not everyone has religion yet on that topic.

Shortly after JBL my day would take a turn for the better. I caught up to a lone hiker who I had seen leave JBL 5 minutes ahead of me. Kaye from Burlington had a Haystack/Basin/Saddleback loop in mind but decided to join me for just the latter two and she turned out to be a very nice hiking partner, well matched both in ability and temperment.

We started to see snow (or hoar frost) at the beginnings of the Shorey Shortcut. I should mention that the Phelps trail is a breeze up to this point, so I can see why the advice I was given was so sound.

The miles flew by quickly and soon were ascending the steeps on the western flank of Basin. There are many great scrambling opportunities here, lots of fun. A pair of gore-tex gloves would have been a good idea, rather than the fleece. Other than that the temps were ideal. Ice was a problem in spots but we managed fine. The ladders were plenty slippery too.

Made Basin summit (#40 for me) at 11:50 in brilliant sunlight and quite comfortable temps with little wind. You can see a ton of other peaks from Basin, great views on this beautiful day.

After the comfort of the summit, the north side of Basin was frigid! I had on every layer and was still quite cold, lots more ice too. It was nice to quickly leave this behind (lots of fanny sliding!) and get to the col. We could see (and hear) other hikers on the Saddleback summit from the flanks of Basin. The climb up Saddleback was relatively uneventful. We skirted much of the cliffs inadvertantly, I didnt realize it until we almost at the top. Saddleback summit (#41) at 1:42 (we took a 30 minute break on Basin summit), more great views, esp of Basin and back at Marcy and the McIntyres.

After Saddleback it was down the Orebed Brook Trail, which was a mess. More kudos for the great advice to not come up this. We returned to JBL to pick up Kaye's gear, requiring a brief ankle deep wade in Johns Brook. The rest of the hike was uneventful, arriving back at the Garden at 5:45. 16.5 miles in all. Drove back to CT, listened to the Red Sox thump the yanks, and all is right with the world!

Still might finish my 46 this year but its a long shot. Would have to do Sewards next week and Haystack the week after, the three "Ws" are the key...work, weather, and the wife...definitely NOT in that order.

ADK Rick

Nice report ADK Rick. Nice pics too. Almost forgot how intimidating Saddleback looked from that col.

Last Fall I did Basin and Saddleback for my 41 and 42. Had the Santas and Big Slide left at the time, which I finished in June. Made for a winter of anticipation. Hopefully the fates will combine to allow you to finish this year.

Glad that that route worked out for you. I'm not a huge fan of the Ore Bed either. Well done............ Basin is still my favorite, always will be (maybe :cool: ).