Baxter State Park, 2/18-22/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
Baxter State Park, 2/18-22/06
Cast of Characters:
Spencer
Joanna
GO
Val
Todd
Olivia

Plan:
Meet at Matagamon Wilderness Camps Friday night. Haul gear into the South Branch Pond bunkhouse (with snowmachine assist by GO) on Saturday. Ski with sleds to Russell Pond on Sunday. Explore the Russell Area (Wassataquoik Lake? Klondike?) on Monday. Return to South Branch on Tuesday. Ski out (again using GO-power) on Wednesday.

Reality:
As the long-planned trip drew near, we knew that the snowpack was shallow and not fresh. Even as far north as Patten, there really wasn’t any continuous snow, but the folks at Matagamon said there was about 11” and the park advised that it was practicable to ski to South Branch. Spencer obtained permission to stay at a leanto at South Branch if skiing to Russell didn’t make sense -- a wise Plan B.

We met up at Matagamon Friday night, awoke Saturday to Sue’s breakfast sandwiches (highly recommended), and headed off. After a brief analysis of the “fox/goose/corn” problem, we figured out the most efficient way to shuttle gear using the snowmachine. While GO took Spencer and a sled in to Trout Brook Crossing (our turnoff for South Branch), Olivia and I started skiing. We were shortly passed by two folks in a Saturn out for a Saturday morning drive on the snowmobile trails (!), then by GO and Spencer who had run into a blowdown, broken an axe, and were headed out for a chainsaw. (It may not fly in the Great Gulf, but here it’s fair game and best practice.) We also met a party heading out from South Branch who told us they’d tried to reach Russell but had turned back 0.5 mile beyond the upper pond due to bad conditions.

Shortly after Olivia and I reached Trout Brook Farm (where we met the “new” ranger, Derek), GO picked us up and shuttled us to the turnoff. 2.5 miles of gentle up and gentler down brought us to the bunkhouse, where we settled in for the first of several nights of good food and companionship. Note that Val makes very good sauce. Derek stopped by and told us that another party of uncertain size was scheduled to come in, and that we could use the bunkhouse if (1) Russell didn’t make sense and (2) the other party didn’t mind.

Sunday morning, we packed up and headed down onto the ponds. Temperatures were fairly low and the wind was ripping to the south. The ponds were bare of snow, and we made decent time crossing the ponds by poling and catching the wind with our backs. Above Upper South Branch Pond, the snow quickly thinned and the numerous water crossings were far from filled in. After a bit of exploration, the group decided to make the best of conditions and return to South Branch. The return trip across the ponds was into the wind, and took a while… which gave us the idea of sailing.

Spencer, Olivia and I stripped one of our sleds, attached Spencer’s tarp, and sailed across the lower pond in the afternoon. We tried various designs including a 3-man, 2-sled catamaran, with varying success. “We’re going to need a bigger sail,” we said. Returning to the bunkhouse to regroup, we found the other party had arrived, but the slick skills and friendly charm of GO, Val, and Joanna managed to convince them that we could all fit in the cabin. This arrangement worked well, thanks in large part to their tolerance and generosity. (Thanks to Mike, Carla, Phil, and Jen!)

Monday most of us headed off for Barrell Ridge, a place Turnbill had convinced us last year consisted of “boulder-strewn open glades”. Not so much, actually. Within a mile or so, we had all taken off our skis and barebooted between Little and Big Peaked to Barrell Ridge, a fine ledgy ridge. Snow was firm, but with a breakable crust (4”) higher up. On the way down, Spencer, Olivia and I bushwhacked up to Little Peaked (nice summit block) and Big Peaked (very nice long open ridge, amazing views of immense ice falls on the headwall of the south branch of “Peaked” Brook). We descended Big via the long, western ridge that dropped in cliffy sections toward the ponds, then regained the trail just above my skis. Before dinner, Spencer and I then skied up the Ledges Trail to admire the ponds from on high, then comically attempted to initiate turns down the icy road back to camp.

Tuesday morning we headed up North Traveler, again on foot. Crampons proved very useful on the firm, exposed slopes along the first cliffs. Once above the first false summit, the open stubby birch glades had several feet of snow, though the ice layers remained in the snowpack (the third ice crust from the top was ¼” thick). The last tree band below the summit had deeper snow still, where snowshoes might have been useful had the section been longer. After a snack on the summit of North Traveler, we decided not to press on toward the Traveler summit and headed back down the trail to the highest meadow, where we bushwhacked NNW toward Big Peaked via a rocky outcropping. This bushwhack was delightfully easy through open birch glades. From Big Peaked, GO headed down to bag Little Peaked while the rest of us headed to a large frozen waterfall at the head of the north branch of “Peaked” Brook. We met up on the trail and headed down for one final food fest. GO and Val went to South Branch Falls, a pretty spot in the woods if not a waterfall.

[/b]Wednesday morning, after the previous night’s valiant effort to eat all our food, we ate some more and packed up. The trip out on skis and under GO-power went smoothly, and we were eating breakfast sandwiches at Matagamon before long.

Another fine trip. Thanks to all for coming, for cooking, for good team skills and wise leadership resulting in good decision-making all around. We’ll reach the Klondike and ski-traverse the Traveler some day… next March, perhaps?

I’m sure I’ve left lots out… please help me fill in the blanks! My pictures will be up by tomorrow.

first off, i'd like to say "thank you governor baxter!" what a gift he left for us to enjoy. bsp just keeps giving each and every time i go there.

next i'd say thanks to spencer, joanna, el-bager and olivia for being great teammates and having super attitudes. these guys are so much fun on a trip -nothing gets them down, even rotten snow and no skiing couldn't dampen their spirits - thus the catasled / sledamaran / ski-sailing on south branch pond!

and, last but not least, thanks to vo for being easy to please and hanging at the cabin while i'm off looking for some vftt.

this fall back plan was a blessing in disguise. we got to expolre the south branch area, which is fantastic. the vftt from barrell ridge was very cool. little peaked was excellent and big peaked was outstanding, as el-bagger said "just a fin of rock!". and the north traveller was the iceing on the frozen oreo pie that spencer and joanna made for desert for us on sunday night.

not much wildlife spotted but the dreaded cone monster was lurking at south branch campground, so beware.

already looking forward to next year - maybe south traveler and sable from a traveler pond basecamp?
go

Fun time

Sounds like you all had a blast despite the weather...it's amazing how much fun we can have when we hang out with awesome folks.

Glad you all had a fun time...Baxter State Park is one of my favorite spots as well.

See ya all soon on the hiking tails.

A fine trip indeed! Thanks for writing the report, El-bgr.

it doesn't really matter what you do when you have great companions and a such a beautiful place. You guys and gals really made the trip!

I'd like to throw another shoutout to Mike and Carla for being patient despite getting more than they bargained for. If you are reading this, know that you are champs and I'd be pleased to share a bunkhouse with you any day!

and, I finally got Joanna to come on a winter BSP trip with us. She loves the park in the summer but was apprehensive to make the jump to a winter trip. She came home all giggles and gear-hungry.

I'll get some pictures up in a day or so.

spencer

Sweet report! I can't wait to get up there again. Baxter SP rocks!!!! :D

Looking forward to the pictures! :D