Baxter State Park, August 5-8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

Spent an extended weekend in Baxter State Park. Weather was great. Katahdin summit day couldn't have gone better (sunny, no humidity, wind was screaming at about 4 mph). For those who've been there, you know the deal. For those who are planning a first visit, read about it and talk to those who've been there. The campgrounds are much more primitive than all other campgrounds I've been to. Lesson learned: mice and chipmunks can find a way into your trunk to have a nice snack (especially if it's a 14 year old car). So pack your food in a cooler or other hard container even if it's in the car. In a nutshell: protect your food, treat your water, plan for any weather, get dirty and have a blast. Here are some pics. This is my maiden voyage on this site so hopefully I set the link correctly.
pics of BSP trip

Last edited:
Great report and pictures! I really love the last photo... 4 moose out for a swim with Katahdin in the background. Can't get much better than that. I'll be making my first trip to BSP in a few weeks... your pics have me excited... although I've been excited for some time now.

I love Baxter. Chimney Pond is an awesome place with many hiking opportunities. From your pics, it looks like you did the Knife Edge. What a great trail. I hope you entered the Knife edge from the Dudley trail in Chmney POnd. The Cathedral Trail is also cool. Great spire of rock that protrude out into the Chimney Pond cirque. Other great place are Russell Pond, a great secluded pond with lots of moose and Davis Pond on the northwest(?) side of Kathadin, an out of the way cirque with few visitors--the heart of Katahdin

Great pics!! Great you got to see some moose! (love that last photo)

Great pics!

It's wonderful to see so many people exploring Baxter this summer.
:)

Awesome shots of the bull! Glad you had good weather and visibility up top also. Nice! :)