Baxter State Park - Labor Day Weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
Jeez, I finally am going to do this. I hemmed and hawed, like a baby, about whether or not I should go to BSP this weekend. But I ended up going and had a great time meeting up with Tramper Al, Darren, Carmel, Joanna, Spencer, Seema, Brian, Chomp and VSA. We all had a great time together!

Friday Night - Carry out on Marston Trail:
Soon after arrival and starting dinner, the Ranger came over asking for volunteers for a carry out of a woman with a broked leg on the Marston Trail. All of us present -- Dr. Wu, Darren, Carmel, Tramper, Spencer & Joanna -- raised our hands and soon after headed over to the TH.

The carry out was about 1.5 miles into the trail and quite easy. The woman was quite light and in good spirits despite the bad break. In all, there were between 20 (at first) and probably 35 (later) people to help litter her out. We formed 4 or 5 groups of 6 people for a carry. Each group would carry the stretcher (with woman on it) until either they had gone far enough or a hairy section was ahead. In the sketchy areas, the stretcher was passed one group down to another. It took a few hours and although organization became a little loose (I think the woman's good spirits helped break the tension a lot but people started talking a lot) everything went smooth and we were back at the lean-tos at around 10 or 11pm.

Saturday - Katahdin:
On Saturday I hiked Katahdin solo. I felt like crap in the morning and almost bailed when I hit the outwash on the Abol Slide Trail. I kept going though, right into the clouds and quickly onto the Baxter Summit... all socked in & fun. You see, I love hiking above treeline in the wind, rain and clouds. There's something romantic about it -- the first time I hiked a mountain was Washington and in similar conditions and I've loved it ever since. The only thing was I decided against doing the Knife Edge in the wind and clouds, solo and not feeling particularly well. I'm now 0/2 on the Knife Edge.

I walked back to Thoreau Junction, checked my clock and it was like, Noon! No way I was heading down so early... so Dr. Wu decided to do some exploring. I took the Baxter Cutoff Trail and boy was that a good choice. It's an interesting trail that bypasses the Baxter Summit. I got the feeling like it does not get a lot of use and contrary to the Hunt & Abol Trail that day, I did not see a soul. I didn't really see many people thereafter as I walked over to Hamlin Peak all the while the clouds were lifting and gorgeous views opening up. Once at Hamlin, with 360° of cloudless views all around, I figured, Hell -- I'm going back to Baxter. So, after feeling sick as a dog before even reaching Abol that morning I made my way once again to Baxter... and of course it clouded up the minute I got there.

For the trip down though I decided to take The Hunt Trail & that was an incredible walk. Tiring, but beautiful. Katahdin rewarded me with my first foot blister in around 2 years for this long (18 miles, including road walk, I think) up and down hike. But I had wonderful, beautiful day... both in the clouds and in the wide expansive open.

Sunday - North & South Brother and Fort:
On Sunday, Joanna, Spencer and I hiked the Brothers & Fort -- three, beautiful bald or ledgy summits and one incredible slide (Coe Slide) to hike (or for some of us, fall) down. Looking back from Coe to the Fir Waves on Brother is spectacular. This might have been my favorite hike of the weekend! Thanks to Spencer & Joanna for letting me tag along!

Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/445500593KMYSCU
http://community.webshots.com/album/445500596kqgLLJ

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Awesome pics and a very nice report. I'm sure you will hit the Knife Edge sooner than later and bring that 0 for two up to a respectable 1 for 3. I must agree about the rain and the wind it was similar conditions on my first hike up Mt. Adams.

It seems Katahdin/Baxter Park has been a choice mountain of many people recently. I only wish Baxter State Park was about 3 hours closer to Boston.

Katahdin

Thoughts on Katahdin last Saturday.

-Katahdin / Baxter Peak has a feel similar to NHs 5000 ftrs. Lots of folks on top at the noontime hour.
-The summit of Baxter Peak is fairly gentle & ordinary - except for that little 2000 plunge into the Great Basin (stand back)
-Knife Edge is truly what makes Katahdin extraordinary. Damn...what a trail! Never had seen a one mile stretch with so many chances to slip into oblivion.
-I liked Pamola's summit better than Baxter Peak - the view of Knife Edge & the Great Basin is tremendous from Pamola.
-Saddle up and Helon Taylor down made a heluva loop. Too tired to eat supper.
-A beautiful September day with a full lot at Roaring Brook made 'Forever wild'
seem a bit overstated. Only wildlife spotted were chips and squirrels.
-Must try Cathedral and/or Dudley some time.

Nice pictures. Your 'some kind of plant' and 'mountain cranberries?' are bunchberries. :)

Wu asked me what the bunchberry were when we were on the trail, but he must have forgotten already :D

Where are the pics from the Brothers?

X, we didn't even go over to Fort b/c Wu doesn't care about lists (or so he says), Joanna really doesn't care, and I've been there a few times before (although I never went down to the crash site).

It was a great to finally hike with the Wu! We share a few things in common, one of which isn't the urine in the backseat.

spencer

spencer said:
Wu asked me what the bunchberry were when we were on the trail, but he must have forgotten already :D

Where are the pics from the Brothers?
I just make up names for things. I was going to say 'Wild Boarberry' but Mountain Cranberry just sounded better. BTW, I fixed the link for the Brothers.
spencer said:
X, we didn't even go over to Fort b/c Wu doesn't care about lists (or so he says), Joanna really doesn't care, and I've been there a few times before (although I never went down to the crash site).
I'd love to go to Fort. I just didn't want Joanna to feel like she was being strong-armed into going there if she didn't want to. When has a 'trailless' thing ever stopped the Dr.!? :D
spencer said:
It was a great to finally hike with the Wu! We share a few things in common, one of which isn't the urine in the backseat.
spencer
You have a truck and it's dog vomit, not pee. That would be in the front seat. Oh, I forgot about the 'Gatorade' bottles. I don't know where those are. I tossed them in the back of someone's truck when I was leaving the lean-to.

It was great to meet everyone on this trip! I have to say that except for Seema, I had never met anyone before -- that includes Spencer, Joanna, Darren, Carmel, Chomp, VSA, Tramper Al and Brian -- and everyone was great! I never felt like a weirdo staying alone in a lean-to with a car full of bodily functions for even a second! Warm and welcomed!

-Dr. Wu

carole said:
Nice pictures. Your 'some kind of plant' and 'mountain cranberries?' are bunchberries. :)
Bunchberry? Aw, crap... I just changed it too in the picture section. Well, I'm not going to change it again! :D

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I just make up names for things. I was going to say 'Wild Boarberry' but Mountain Cranberry just sounded better.
:D

no no no, Alpine Boarberry, very similar to the lowland species, distinguished only by DNA analysis, one has very tasty berries and the other poisonous and they hybridize at moderate elevations.

arghman said:
:D

no no no, Alpine Boarberry, very similar to the lowland species, distinguished only by DNA analysis, one has very tasty berries and the other poisonous and they hybridize at moderate elevations.
How about the elusive Herbie Hancock Berry that I ended up photographing?

-Dr. Wu