BC Skins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not necessarily.

Doug, with your actuallies, not necessarilies and once-upon-a-times you are giving advice based on extremes, not the common applications. Just b/c it may be useful in very specific, unusual circumstances doesn't make it good advice.

$100 skins for $100 skis? I'd just as soon rub silver klister through my beard and run around in public screaming "DP said it was true!"

Back to nice I go
I like DougPaul, it is true
Just not this advice

Thanks for this thread.

Thanks for posing this question Maria and for informative responses. I have pair of fischer E99 Back Country skis of similar design and have always wonder same thing about wisdom of getting skins for them.

I use a thin pair of skis on my E99s and on my Karhu XCDs long before that. They're the same dimensions as the skis in the OP. I've done lots of stuff (Moosilauke, Garfield) on that setup and while I'd use wider gear today for those trips they were still enjoyable trips on that gear.

But that was a while ago, when peoples' brains were smaller. We had no other options for skis. Now, with lots of good options, I'd look at getting wider skis for more adventurous skiing and start with skins for those.

I'm with Spencer and Dave on this. Save that $100 for the moment (which may be coming soon) when you realize that what you are really craving is a pair of Fischer Rebounds, Scarpa T3s, 3-pin cable bindings, and fitted skins. When this epiphany hits, those extra bucks will come in handy.

I'm with Spencer and Dave on this. Save that $100 for the moment (which may be coming soon) when you realize that what you are really craving is a pair of Fischer Rebounds, Scarpa T3s, 3-pin cable bindings, and fitted skins. When this epiphany hits, those extra bucks will come in handy.

I have ventured into the backcountry arena recently. I have the Fischer Rebound Crowns. What type of skins do you folks recommend?

The Rebounds are 88-60-78, enough sidecut that I'd want trimmed skins rather then straight ones. I have the Outtabounds which are very similar with a wider waist and I have 80mm BD Glidelites with a tail clip.

Which version of that ski? What are the dimensions? For the most part, skins from any major maker are fine, it's just a matter of dimensions and do you want a tail clip.