Be prepared

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno. Sick animals are pretty scary.
So are sick people. There have been a few murders in the White Mountains, a few more on the AT. The last predatory black bear fatality was on the AT in NJ not that long ago. The risk isn't zero, but its pretty low. Pepper spray works pretty well unless the wind is blowing into your face, then you'll just be a comedy routine with some tasty spice added.

The saying holds true, people pack their fears. Its why I pack three spoons. That's another thing that got put into a permanent part of my FAK after a hike and I forgot one. Not being able to eat my oatmeal became a concern I'd rather avoid.

So are sick people. There have been a few murders in the White Mountains, a few more on the AT. The last predatory black bear fatality was on the AT in NJ not that long ago. The risk isn't zero, but its pretty low. Pepper spray works pretty well unless the wind is blowing into your face, then you'll just be a comedy routine with some tasty spice added.

The saying holds true, people pack their fears. Its why I pack three spoons. That's another thing that got put into a permanent part of my FAK after a hike and I forgot one. Not being able to eat my oatmeal became a concern I'd rather avoid.
On literally the first day of my AT thru hike I lost my spoon after dinner. Ended up using a butter knife I found in the shelter for three days until I got to town to get something more appropriate. That was 24 years ago I never packed multiples of spoons. I do triple check though now to keep tabs on it and never lost one again. I did end up losing my headlamp though somewhere around Dartmouth Nh. I do carry a spare light occasionally, especially in cold weather with limited daylight.

On literally the first day of my AT thru hike I lost my spoon after dinner. Ended up using a butter knife I found in the shelter for three days until I got to town to get something more appropriate. That was 24 years ago I never packed multiples of spoons. I do triple check though now to keep tabs on it and never lost one again. I did end up losing my headlamp though somewhere around Dartmouth Nh. I do carry a spare light occasionally, especially in cold weather with limited daylight.
I use an insulated mug as part of my cook and eating kit. It being adorned with a few personal meaning stickers and much larger than a spoon it is harder to loose. Therefore I drilled a hole in the mugs handle and another in the spoons handle. Then I attached the two together with a brightly colored thin piece of perlon. Makes it a lot harder to loose the spoon and it also keeps the spoon on belay for easy retrieval. The farce of it and it has never happened is if I loose my mug I loose my spoon and visa versa.

I was approached by some locals in CO while car camping, 6 miles in on a remote dirt road, they wanted money to leave me alone. I was by myself. I ran into a bull moose who became aggravated when my Aussie started barking at him, he chased us and I was running from tree to tree, trying to hold my 65 lb Aussie by the collar to keep him from being stomped to death, two warning shots and the moose quickly ran off. A very pissed off, possibly rabid Fisher came after me and my dog ( no further comment on this one). A lion followed me for 30 minutes above treeline in CO.I have had over 15 close bear encounters. I've been approached by at least 3 perverts while walking my dog in remote pull-offs and parking areas in the Whites. Before anyone says that protection is never needed, try and keep an open mind, while rare, when you need it, it's pretty nice to have. For the record as I have been in this group for awhile now, I do not care if you do not like firearms, it is your right to dislike them as much as it is my right to own and carry one, that is essentially what America is about, freedom to make choices. I do my best to respect people and their choices, and I expect the same in return. I do not admittedly take kindly to being insulted, not here or anywhere.

Last edited:
I was approached by some locals in CO while car camping, 6 miles in on a remote dirt road, they wanted money to leave me alone. I was by myself. I ran into a bull moose who became aggravated when my Aussie started barking at him, he chased us and I was running from tree to tree, trying to hold my 65 lb Aussie by the collar to keep him from being stomped to death, two warning shots and the moose quickly ran off. A very pissed off, possibly rabid Fisher came after me and my dog ( no further comment on this one). A lion followed me for 30 minutes above treeline in CO.I have had over 15 close bear encounters. I've been approached by at least 3 perverts while walking my dog in remote pull-offs and parking areas in the Whites. Before anyone says that protection is never needed, try and keep an open mind, while rare, when you need it, it's pretty nice to have. For the record as I have been in this group for awhile now, I do not care if you do not like firearms, it is your right to dislike them as much as it is my right to own and carry one, that is essentially what America is about, freedom to make choices. I do my best to respect people and their choices, and I expect the same in return. I do not admittedly take kindly to being insulted, not here or anywhere.
Well stated.

I would like to hear about the lion encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.