Bear Canister/Packing Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeshstick

Reaction score
Hello there!

A bit of a novice question for you all: I am fairly new to backpacking with a bear canister. As much as I love the convenience of a bear canister (hanging a bear bag is one of those backcountry skills I never quite figured out - especially after dinner and in the dark!), I'm having a helluva time trying to pack it into my backpack. I use a 100oz Camelbak in my pack too. I know both the bear canister and bladder should go as close to my back as possible, in the middle of the pack. For those of you who also use both, how do you wrangle both things with their funny shapes into your pack so that your weight is balanced and comfortable? I have a Gregory Forester.

Thank you!

Although a bear canister can fit inside many larger packs it is just easier to strap it on the outside. Depending on which canister you have there may be an accessory nylon case available to make the process easier. Otherwise just go ahead and strap or tie it on the outside of your pack.

I don't like having stuff strapped outside of my pack (with the exception of my sleeping pad. It's just a personal preference.) When I carried a bear canister out west, this is how I packed from bottom to top: sleeping bag, tarptent, pot, bear canister, clothing stuff sack, camel back. (I should note, however, that I don't drink out of my camelbak... I use it to refill a water bottle so it doesn't matter if it's lying flat.) At the time, I was using a Gregory Reality pack and it all fit fine and felt comfortable that way.

- Ivy

Don't put the canister directly against the back of the pack! I did a couple of weeks ago, and the hard surface it rubbed the skin off my back (through the pack padding). I put the Camelbak on the side (exterior) of my bag.

Meeshstick said:
Hello there!

For those of you who also use both, how do you wrangle both things with their funny shapes into your pack so that your weight is balanced and comfortable? I have a Gregory Forester.

Thank you!

I'm using a 4000 c.i. Northface pack, which I think is a little smaller than your Gregory Forester (4500-4700 c.i.?). I put my bear canister on the bottom where the sleeping bag went and then build uo the main compartment with the softer stuff (bag, tent, gear) around the bladder. Comfort is fine.