Bear cannister rental near Upper Works?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning an overnight stay near Lake Colden. Wonder if there is a place near Newcomb area where I can rent a bear cannister?

I know th Mountaineer have them for rent, but they're in Keene Valley.
Thanks!

There isn't anything around upper works - unless there's something in Newcomb, which I don't think there is. The trailhead is very remote and you will not find any stores on your way out there. You would have to go to The Mountaineer beforehand or you may be able to rent one at REI or EMS.

You probably won't find anything close by Upper Works. The closest town, Newcomb is 10 miles away and has nothing more than a small general store in town. A trip to the Mountaineer in Keene Valley would be over an hour round trip; it's almost 50 miles one way.

Your best bet is probably EMS in Saratoga Spring. It's about 1 mile west of the Northway (I-87) at exit 15.

You may want to give the store a call to reserve a canister ahead of time.
518-580-1505

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh, you won't be alone in that area on a weekend in summer! What peaks are you planning?
Have you joined adkhighpeaks.com yet? Lots of friendly folks and info over there, you'll recognize quite a few screen names!

7summits said:
Wow! Just called Cloudsplitter Outfitters in Newcomb. $3/day rental, open 10-5pm, just 3 mi from the junction of route 25 and 84. Thanks, and thanks all of you who offer to lent me the canister! :)

Now I need to borrow some courage to backpack alone.... :eek:

I thought that place just rented kayaks. Learn something new every day.

una_dogger said:
Oh, you won't be alone in that area on a weekend in summer! What peaks are you planning?
Have you joined adkhighpeaks.com yet? Lots of friendly folks and info over there, you'll recognize quite a few screen names!

I think 7Summits may still be in the woods so I'll take the opportunity to say Yes, she's signed up. I convinced her to put our CBCND/DIX/Hurricane weekend report on AHP.com..

:)

Jay