Bears Like Pot Roast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Gr...ear/-/9857858/15134710/-/12ktut1/-/index.html

Not really hiking related, so delete if you must.

I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often. I would think food smells would be a greater attraction for wildlife?

Bear 'incidents' seem to be popping up - or is it just the increase media in general? The one on the Cape, another in downtown NH. I had (2) 175-200 lbs black bears running around my yard a week ago, and I've only seen what might have been remnants of scat once in 40+ years here.

In another part of the country, there was a recent story of an Alaskan hiker chased up a tree with lacerations by a mama grizz. Called for help w/ his cell phone!

Dug,

We had a sow with three cubs in our back yard - saw them June 2010 when they were babies and again last summer when they are only slightly smaller than mom... and it wouldn't take them very long to walk to your house from mine...

Tim
p.s. Bear stories and behavior are on-topic enough...

I'm suprised this doesn't happen more often. I would think food smells would be a greater attraction for wildlife?

Me too. Think of all the poorly cleaned grills and trash cans on porches and in yards and garages. Bear generally identify bird feeders pretty quickly. They need to be habituated/rewarded at a source of food to become repeat offenders. Perhaps they've learned Webers smell good but yield little ?