Berlin Mtn, close enough to New England 11-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Just a few hundred feet in NY state, at least the summit, the eastern flanks are surely in massachusetts.

An awesome spring-like hike today to Berlin Mtn from Petersburg Pass (rt 2) just on the NY side of the NY/MA border..

Hiked from what used to be the Petersburg Pass Ski Area south on the Taconic Crest Trail around Raimey Mtn to the open summit of Berlin Mtn which has awesome, almost 360deg views if not for the short pines around the summit... Met a guy with a portable 5W HAM radio transmitting on the summit of Berlin. There was some kind of event today for Summits on the Air as I was chatting with the person who has climbed a bunch of peaks in the area and the southern Adirondacks to converse with people in the UK and Canada. Perfect day for it!

While we were chatting, we got buzzed by a Cessna flying at about 3000' to the Berlin summit at 2818'. It is listed as the highest peak in NY outside of the Catskills and the ADKs and is also a County High Point for Rennsalear.. Bonus! :)

Had awesome views of Greylock, Jiminy peak and the windmills, the Catskills (blackhead range, Windham).. and numeous side trails to explore, including Raimey Peak which was the summit of the old ski area and I found what I figure must of been the remains of a ski lift that faced MA and ran down the east side of Raimey...

After a leisurely stop at Berlin, I stopped at Raimey for lunch and a nap, taking advantage of the bright warm sun and an awesome fall day.. What a nice trip through open woods and a nice hike.

After I got back to my car, I took a short break to enjoy more views of Greylock and then headed north on the TCT through the Hopkins Memorial Forest, owned by Williams College. I was thinking of just going up through White Rocks and then perhaps checking out the NY/MA/Vt tricorner. But after a bit, I decided I didn;t feel like dropping about 1000ft off this ridgeline and the "woods road" that leads to the tricorner appears to go some weird circular route. I didn't have my altimeter and when I went down the BB trail, I never saw a border sign so didn't feel like wandering around in the woods without any beta on what I'd find and where the border is. I think there is another obelisk there according to some web research and an old thread on VFTT. Next time. I need to check out the snow hole up there anyway...

So I turned back and bushwacked up Jim Smith Mtn over the ferny summit down to the TCT which I took back to my car... Great day and I think I have now finally realized, I'm living in the Berkshires!!! Life is good...

Pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslugyahoo/BerlinMt11132010

Hey, nice stuff. At what elevation approximately, were you at where that snow was in the woods? I was up on Moose mtn here in the Lebanon area, and there was no snow....around 2300 feet. Those were neat views.

grouseking

Well, the highest point on Berlin was devoid of any snow because it's an open summit which gets a lot of sunlight in. I found bits and pieces of snow on all the north facing slopes that were tree covered. Petersburg Pass (where I parked) is already at around 2060' and I hit snow petty much just as I got into the woods and on the north side of Raimer Mt. And snow, I mean just a patchy covering..

Jay