Best Duck Hole Approach?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akramitis

Reaction score
A friend of mine, after reading that the Duck Hole may not be there in the future, wants to backpack there with his family for a long weekend camping trip. He would like to bring his canoe. His children are very young (pre-school age). What would be the best way to bring a canoe there? Which approach will be better for him? Would it be possible (and easier) to puddle Henderson and the Prestons?

Any info would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Never been either way, but looking at my topo map the easiest way would be to park at the north end of henderson lake at tahawus. It looks like a 1000 foot total like in and about 4.5 miles. the worst section looks like when you come to the first of the preston ponds where you gain about 300 feet in a half a mile. Coming in from Corey's looks like a long haul with the same elevation gain.

Akramitis,
Trying to understand - does he want to backpack in and portage his canoe the entire way?
If so, he could probably just take the Ward Brook Truck Trail from the gated area just past the TH to the Sewards - Assuming he would be carting it in. - It about a 10-11 mile very easy road walk, and while it is private property for the Ampersand camps, I don't think that as long as you follw the WBTT and don't turn off and go to Ampersand Camps, anyone would give you a hard time. I have biked in that way 4 times without any problems when I wanted to get in and out fast (I used to maintain a couple of L/T that way, and due to some of the horsepackers, there was usually a lot of trash to be carried out of the L/Ts) and you can make good time carting 10 miles on the road vs carting 7 miles on the trail from Upper Works.

If your friend is thinking of paddling in, Check in with Redhawk at ADKforum. They just paddled in from Henderson Lake through Preston Ponds to DH. I understood it to be a rather grueling portage.

I would say for your first time there, just backpack in and do some exploring. The Indian Pass/Preston Ponds Trail from Upper Works isn't that bad. IIRC, it was about 7 miles and is certainly more enjoyable than the road. I'vebeen through there twice and find it a nice alternative to the WBTT

I've been to Duckhole buy canoe three times, The portage between Henderson is long over a mile, If you take your time and you might have to make more then one trip for your stuff you can doit, The views are well worth it, We are going to make the trip again in the fall.
Bob

i was a member of the group that went in May (check out the link to the adkforum above) by canoe. After crossing Hendersen Lake the first long portage is 1.8 miles by my GPS. Coming out my son and I took our kevlar canoe out nonstop keeping our packs on and it took us 45 or 50 minutes (check the thread). It would take a bit longer going in due to the longer and greater ascent.

There are a couple of other portages, a bit nasty with the brush. There's a picture somewhere on the thread of people getting out of the canoes near a steep bank. That water was close to over my head at that spot. Some tough spots with little kids.

It would a very tough trip with two preschoolers. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'd think long and hard first.

Last edited:
Duck Hole

Thanks for the info.

I have actually hiked to Duck Hole once in the past. I used the trail from the south that goes by Bradley Pond (when I did the Santanonis). I have also hiked the road from the northwest up to the herdpath to Seymour (when I did Seymour). I also hiked the trail east of Henderson Lake but it was when I hiked through the Indian Pass from Tahawus to the ADK Loj so I am familiar to that route to Duck Hole only up to the north end of Henderson Lake.

The news about the broken dam in Fort Ann, reminded me of the movement to save the dam in the Duck Hole. That was when I mentioned the Duck Hole to my friend. It was then he decided to go with his family before Duck Hole disappears (which I think won’t happen soon).

As far as I know, it is just an idea for now. Nothing planned yet. I am not sure when he plans of doing that (I think fall would be the best time). From what I have seen so far, perhaps he would be better off hiking in without the canoe. I will just pass the info to him.

Thanks again.

Last edited: