Best route up Northfield Mountain, Granville VT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ephraim/Bucksnort

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking about doing a hike of Northfield Mountain also known as South Adams in Granville Vermont. I am wondering if there is a good place to park there in the winter on Route 100 or North Hollow Road. If there is anybody that has climbed this peak in the winter from this side of the mountain, respond to this.
Thank You

I haven't done that exact hike, but I've done a fair bit of winter hiking in Vermont. Parking can be tricky in the winter, especially on smaller roads that might not be plowed regularly. Route 100 might be your best bet for more accessible parking, but it's always a good idea to check local resources or forums for up-to-date information. Make sure you're prepared for the conditions, with proper gear like microspikes or snowshoes, plenty of layers, and a map or GPS since trails can be harder to follow in the snow.

I would call the Green Mtn FS office for that area and ask. Been my experience that the GMF is oriented towards hiking related activities, much more so that the Whites.

Hi all, I am thinking about doing a hike of Northfield Mountain also known as South Adams in Granville Vermont. I am wondering if there is a good place to park there in the winter on Route 100 or North Hollow Road. If there is anybody that has climbed this peak in the winter from this side of the mountain, respond to this.
Thank You

There is a small bend on North Hollow Rd about where it crosses the Kendall Brook.
There is a stretch of woods on the easterly side between houses there which were not posted when I did it in winter, and which was wooded enough to keep away from the houses.
I went in there and whacked easterly to the summit, basically following much of the route of the Kendall Brook drainage, just a little south of it.
When you hit the upper reaches there are some quite steep sections, but I do not recall any cliffs. Also, it never gets particularly thick with the conifers, but you may encounter some hobblebush if I remember correctly.
It’s a nice buswhack and should be a fun time!