best snow shoe in northern catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have never done any snow shoeing in the catskills, I have kept to the ADK's so far. I would like to try a few this year but would like to stay north for now. I have always been hesitant to try the routes down to the catskills in the winter. Routes 28 and 10 have a lot of hairpin turns in them:eek:. Not to mention I just got rid of my 4 wheel drive for a Prius so do not want to drive to much in the snow until I get used to it. When I purchase the Prius gas was $4.30. After a 4 month waiting list it is $2.40:confused:. Parking would be a concern also because I do not want to pull into the side of the road and get stuck. Any suggestions. Also, does anyone own a prius, if so how does it drive in the winter?

Any suggestions.
It sounds like you are asking more about driving than snow shoes.

The same rules for snow shoes apply to either set of mountains, IMHO. They both have snow, ice, slush, powder, hard pack, etc. Don't forget your crampons...

As for driving, the following are usually plowed trail heads, but no guarantees:

Seager
Biscuit Brook
Spruceton
Slide
Panther
Balsam

One place to avoid is the Black Heads from Big Hollow Rd., a lot of people have gotten stuck out there.

In any case, bring a shovel! It's standard winter car equipment for me.

Lots of great options:
Slide and Westkill from the Spruceton Rd. Blackhead-Blackdome, Windham,
Ashokan High Point, Bearpen-Vly. Many, many more that meet your criteria.
Let me know when you'd like to do something this winter.

One place to avoid is the Black Heads from Big Hollow Rd., a lot of people have gotten stuck out there.

Thanks - I didn't know that.

This winter we are switching from a Toyota Tundra 4wd super duper everything package (i.e. 17 mpg) to driving a Scion xB (38 mpg). Gulp. My awesome diesel jetta had bald tires last winter (my first in the catskills) - I needed rescues when I was dumb enough to drive in bad weather.

Basically, it has been our experience that the roads get cleared pretty well within 24 hours of the end of any storm. Trailheads... that's a different story. The more heavily used, the better, has been our experience.

If you time it right (weekday, if possible), Overlook is just gorgeous. I would suggest taking the right hand trail before you get to the ruins, and head for the summit through the woods.

Flammeus would recommend Huckleberry point - he says that the road is typically good in winter (the road is unmaintained and closed in one section, south/east of the trailhead, but you can access the trailhead from the north). Flammeus is out driving a bucket truck 5 days a week in the northern and western catskills, so if you want a road report before heading out, please feel free to PM us to see how things are.

have fun :D

Speaking from experience, this is true. A few years ago I parked at that parking area at the end of Big Hollow Road. It was a snow covered skating rink. Managed to get out but it took about a half an hour with a 2 WD pickup.

I wouldn't head up Big Hollow Rd right after a storm, but my experience is that once things settle down, the road and parking area are plowed. Been there many times in winter and never had a problem. But then I usually go another day if the snow and driving look tricky. ;)

What kind of hike or snowshoe are you looking for?
As others have stated, the trailheads are usually plowed out quickly. Big Hlw is not a problem if you stay in the summer parking area below the trailhead parking,where it says NO PARKING SCHOOL BUS TURN AROUND,(there are no buses on week ends). I drive a 2wd civic mostly and have never had a problem.