Best spots to find Gray Jays

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
I'm asking around to see if anyone knows the best spots where Gray Jays are out and stealing our gorp in the spring. Mount Jackson is certainly commonplace.

Is there trailhead parking lots and some trails that are optimal for finding them? Mountains are also appreciated to find these avian delights.

Any locations would be terrific, my ornithology prof will appreciate it for his research.

Thanks!

Ridgewalker

The junction of the Crawford Path & Mizpah Cutoff is a hotspot, as are the summits of Tom, Field and Willey, and also on the first rocky outcropping on Caps Ridge.

Those are the ones which come immediately to mind.

If you are willing to take a trip to the Great North Woods way up to Pittsburg, the summit of Mount Magalloway is a great place to see them. Be sure to have some sort of trail mix on you and they'll gladly eat right out of your hand.

Last edited:
I'll second Jackson, Field, and Zealand/Zeacliff. Also, I've had luck on Starr King.

Last edited:
Starr King-Waumbec. Willard in addition to what has been already mentioned.

I also had them at shoal pond. They are found in the spruce forests. They may migrate down from the high peaks area into valleys during very rough winters, but it is uncommon.

They will eat of your hand in areas where there are alot of hikers. In the boreal bogs they will not. Dr. Barnard and ornithologist from VT has been studying a popluation in Victroy VT for 15-20 years. He needs to trap them in order to radio tag them.

I'd also recommend the trail to Pierce, Zealand, Jackson, and Mt. Field, esp. Pierce. But for minimal effort, try Mt. Willard.

They will eat of your hand in areas where there are alot of hikers. In the boreal bogs they will not. Dr. Barnard and ornithologist from VT has been studying a popluation in Victroy VT for 15-20 years. He needs to trap them in order to radio tag them.

The reason he has to trap them is that he draws blood from them and usually only gives them saltines. Looks to me like the birds have done a risk versus reward analysis;).

There are usually gray jays on Webster on the north end.

The reason he has to trap them is that he draws blood from them and usually only gives them saltines. Looks to me like the birds have done a risk versus reward analysis;).

There are usually gray jays on Webster on the north end.

He actually uses english muffins. We he shows up they fly into a tree behind him. He gives a few pieces and then throws the rest into a trap. I don't know if he is drawing blood. Blood samples have been drawn from alot of birds to track prevalence of west nile. Ridgewalker could shed some light on his recent research.
I know you were making a tongue in cheek comment, but the fact that they will eat out of the hands of hikers shows that it is a learned behavior. Smart birds.

I would add Avalon to the list. I've also had them come to me on already-mentioned peaks: Jackson, Webster, and Starr King. I've noticed the jays will not eat out of my hand if the dogs are at my feet. I have to get the dogs to go ahead on the trail if I want to feed the jays.

Here is one eating out of my hand on Jackson:

Whiskey Jack on Jackson by Elizabeth W.K., on Flickr

He actually uses english muffins. We he shows up they fly into a tree behind him. He gives a few pieces and then throws the rest into a trap. I don't know if he is drawing blood. Blood samples have been drawn from alot of birds to track prevalence of west nile. Ridgewalker could shed some light on his recent research.

My professor has mentioned these same anecdotes to us, and has not humbly gone further, and I am just a helpful Scout doing a good turn.

As if necessary, I'll fourth Starr King. Seen them many times there.

I have had very good luck a few times at the first lookout on the Caps Ridge Trail.
Or, you could simply come to my door and knock.