Bi-annual Red-lining contest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here we go again. On Tuesday, October 12th, I red-lined 10.0 miles of trails to bag a NH4 to complete my 17th round.

Hint 1: the 10.0 miles included and out-and-back of a 1.1 trail segment that was not necessary to gain the summit.

Hint 2: I hiked an additional 4.7 miles that were necessary to gain the summit, although I had hiked these trails previously.

So, 1) name the summit, and 2) name the three trails that I red-lined.

Cabot: York Pond (0.2), Bunnell Notch (2.8 + 0.3), Kilkenny (1.4) = 4.7 plus 1.1 miles = 0.5+ x 2 out-and-back on Bunnell Notch towards the closed trail (the lower leg of the triangle.)

Tim

Cabot: York Pond (0.2), Bunnell Notch (2.8 + 0.3), Kilkenny (1.4) = 4.7 plus 1.1 miles = 0.5+ x 2 out-and-back on Bunnell Notch towards the closed trail (the lower leg of the triangle.)

Tim

Good try, although I am not sure that those numbers add up. My total red-lining was exactly 10.0 miles, according to Map Adventures and AMC, and the out-and-back was 1.1 miles x 2, so 2.2 miles. But, whoops, I made a mistake on the non-red-lining mileage, which was 3.7 miles, and not 4.7 miles. That should help. :)

I'm thinking Carter Dome with redlining done on the Wildcat River trail, a couple pieces of the Wild River trail (with one piece being the out and back) and the Bog Brook trail.

John

I'm thinking Carter Dome with redlining done on the Wildcat River trail, a couple pieces of the Wild River trail (with one piece being the out and back) and the Bog Brook trail.

John

Congrats to John; I believe he won my last red-lining contest also!

Hard to believe that I had never hiked the Wildcat River Trail to Carter Notch, especially considering that I worked at Cata hut part of one summer for the AMC. I had hiked the CMT between the hut and Carter Dome many times, and come down the Rainbow Trail once before, but then headed back north through Perkins Notch (part of one of my earlier red-lining contests on VftT), but the return via Bog Brook Trail (aptly named) and the out-and-back on that upper 1.1 mile segment of the Wild River Trail on this trip were brand new for me. I think that the Bog Brook Trail, which is posted with light blue metal diamond-shaped markers on trees, probably makes for a better x-c ski than a hike, given the wetness factor.

Last edited:
We did a very similar route several years ago. How were the water crossings on the Bog Brook trail? How deep was the mud?

Speaking of the last red-lining contest, you still owe me a beer. :D I'm in no rush collecting it though. I think you're good for it. :D

We did a very similar route several years ago. How were the water crossings on the Bog Brook trail? How deep was the mud?

Speaking of the last red-lining contest, you still owe me a beer. :D I'm in no rush collecting it though. I think you're good for it. :D

Water crossings were not too bad, although they required a little thought, as did the mud sections, which were substantial.

So, now I guess that I owe you two beers, John. :eek: for 2000th post.

a new red-lining quiz

This past Saturday, I added 0.5 mile to my red-lining total in the WMNF, which was included in about 5.6 miles total to bag a NH4 for the 19th time. Please name the peak and the 0.5 mile trail segment for a Pemi Pale Ale.

Well, I don't know if the weather was right for this on Saturday but I'm going to guess Jefferson via Caps Ridge with the 0.5 segment being the Cornice between Caps Ridge and Gulfside.
-vegematic

Well, I don't know if the weather was right for this on Saturday but I'm going to guess Jefferson via Caps Ridge with the 0.5 segment being the Cornice between Caps Ridge and Gulfside.
-vegematic

Nicely played; you are correct!

Indeed, the rocks were slick from a dusting of spitting and melting snow on the Caps Ridge Trail most of Saturday. But, we were well rewarded with an undercast of clouds from which we broke through into sunshine at about 5000 ft, a fine analogy for the nunatak phase of the waning continental ice sheet that melted downwards and separated over the protruding Presi peaks about 15,000 years ago, as only Jefferson and Washington were exposed for our view.

The irony was that I was playing glacial geology tour guide for Alex MacPhail, who is interested in writing about felsenmeer and patterned ground for his blog. http://whitemountainsojourn.blogspot.com/

We were on our way to the OH reunion at the Highland Center, which featured an after-dinner slide show talk by the "Sandal Sisters," a mother and daughter who hiked the entire AT during the summer of 2009 in sandals.
See page 3 of http://www.springfieldbucks.org/uploads/layout fall 09 newsletter.pdf

During our hike on Jefferson, I also learned that Alex hiked the 46 NH4s in under four days during the summer of 1963, the same season that he hiked the H2H in 12 hours, 11 minutes. Usually hut employees only get 3 "daze" off, but Alex was able to negotiate with his boss for a fourth day off. What I do not know is whether he hiked the 46 in less than 87.5 hours. In any case, the time was a couple of days faster than that of the Fitch Brothers a decade or so later.

We were supposed to hike the Ammy (not Ammo) to get above treeline to observe patterned ground, but I talked him into the Caps Ridge so that I could redline the 0.5-mile segment of the Cornice Trail on the way down. :)