Big Slide - My 46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
So the day had finally come when I'd go for my 46. I hadn't hiked since the end of August because of an injury and I was hoping my fitness wouldn't have suffered too badly. With five people, my dog, and all the gear we jammed into my Subaru and headed down from Ottawa at 5:10am.

I had hoped to get on the trail by 9:00, however we signed in and started on the trail at 9:45. Hiking back in the dark would be nothing new for this group. I was pretty happy that my dog could accompany us on this trip. This would be his 2nd peak and he's always a ball of energy which is pretty inspiring as you go. Everybody we met fell in love with the pooch, who looked more like a mountain goat on this day.

The going was slower than I had hoped but we kept making our way over The Brothers. I loved the first part of this hike, with all the open vistas. It was partly cloudy but the high peaks were visisble all around us especially Giant early on.

By 1:30 we were pretty hungry and stopped for lunch. Then we started out for the final push. At the Y junction I opted for my crampons. The final .3 miles was pretty steep and icey and I was starting to think about actually finishing. Over the past year I had thought about it quite a bit, and how I would feel. I thought I'd be a little emotional but when the moment finally came I didn't feel that way at all. I was happy I was able to complete the journey, and really happy that my wife could join me too. The coolest part is that on a day that was mostly overcast the blue sky came out strong for the summit. The views were magnificent. Big Slide has a great perspective of the high peaks. Throughout my journey I had always considered getting a view a bonus. Many of the peaks were overcast, rainy, foggy, all sorts of weather, but that just made the clear days even sweeter. We snapped a few pictures and since darkness would be setting in soon decided to head down.

The original plan was to hike back over The Brothers, but since it was 3:00 we decided to go down into the valley to get the steep part out of the way before dusk. The plan was a good one, and although it was longer was the safe choice. The last 3 miles seemed to take forever, they always do, but visions of burgers were dancing through our heads, keeping us going. We signed out at 7:45 very happy to have completed the day.

The journey of the ADK 46 will be something I remember for the rest of my life. Through it I got to meet a lot of cool people. The VFTT community definitely helped along the way with all the useful trail condition reports, gear discussions, and the "Trips" section where I was able to find Winter hiking partners every weekend. Thank you VFTT, and thank you Darren.

-Shayne

Shayne, I felt good all over reading your 46er report. We'll have to get drunk together at the ceremony next year!! IIRC we did 5 peaks together, all of them during solar winter.

spaddock said:
The journey of the ADK 46 will be something I remember for the rest of my life. Through it I got to meet a lot of cool people. The VFTT community definitely helped along the way with all the useful trail condition reports, gear discussions, and the "Trips" section where I was able to find Winter hiking partners every weekend. Thank you VFTT, and thank you Darren.

-Shayne
This is a really good example of a line that goes something like this:
You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

Three green squares for Shayne.

Hip hip...... :D :D :D

Congrats Shayne, glad you got to see that view. I have a matted panoramic photo taken from Big Slide hanging over my computer monitor that was given to me by my son. It's a great accomplishment.

Neil said:
IIRC we did 5 peaks together, all of them during solar winter.

Yep, 5 it was. Redfield, Colvin, Blake, Whiteface, and Esther. Those were some beauties. Bombing down the toll road was such a blast! -25C on top of Colvin in the sun was pretty memorable too.

Good times,

Shayne

Congratulations!

Glad to hear you finally made it. Isn't that a beautiful hike? We are hoping to go back this winter on a nice clear day to see the view we missed. Congratulations again!!!

Pete_Hickey said:
Hey, when you're down for the spring weekend to get your certificate, are you going to do trailwork that Saturday?

Hey Pete,

How long do I have to do all the paperwork for the spring certificate? I haven't mailed in all my peaks yet, so I haven't even gotten the questionaire. I had been staying on track and then I let it slide.

I would love to do some trailwork sometime soon. Especially since I'm supposed to be resting my legs (tendonitis). Any crews where you don't have to hike in too far?

Maybe you can even give me a ride since you live just across the river, as long as it's not on the back of your bicycle... ;)

-Shayne