Bigelow backpack, May 29-31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Tuesday

Reaction score
Photos from my backpack with MEB and Mad Townie. I was absolutely transfixed by the view up there, which is why there are so many redundant pictures. We had such a lovely time and I can’t wait to make another trip to the Bigelows soon.

The three of us hiked in on Friday night and stayed at Horn’s Pond. Caretaker was there and he was very kind and helpful. I was amazed that there wasn’t a fee.

The campsite privy could vie for best situated in the Appalachians. The view at sunrise was incredible.

Peter left us the next morning after a quick trip to North Horn to watch clouds rolling through, and MEB and I spent the day along the ridge, including a two hour nap in our tent during a quick downpour.

I won’t tell you what time we went to bed that night, let’s just say that we played a game of dice and got LOTS of sleep.

After a quick trip back up to Avery Peak the next morning we were out, and back at the car by 11:00 or so.

What a range! We had grand yet unfulfilled ambitions to go up there for sunset and sunrise. This is now on my short list of trips I want to repeat, and peaks I want to linger on.

http://picasaweb.google.com/idramsarg/BigelowsMay2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOulwpHJtpnreA&feat=directlink

The Bigelow "loop" (Up firewarden's, to Avery, to West, across the ridge to the Horns...and down Horns pond trail) was hubby and my first "long" hike (12+ miles). We feel in love with it immediately and have been back several times. I've got LOTS of repeat picture from each of the summits.

We had grand yet unfulfilled ambitions to go up there for sunset and sunrise. This is now on my short list of trips I want to repeat, and peaks I want to linger on.

If you end up doing the "camp in the col; sunset on West, sunrise on East" thing, that would definitely pique my interest...not that there's anything wrong with the way you guys did it this weekend. ;)

Jason

I wasn't sure if I would get anyone to go with me on this loop....normally I would do this loop in one day or one overnight.....but to make the weekend seem longer I decided two nights would make for a nice liesurely backpack:)
Horns Pond is really a special place....and hiking in there at night was so nice!

We totally lucked out on the weather too! Thanks Mardi and Peter for an awesome weekend on one of my most favorite mountain ranges. Can't wait to get back there.

-MEB

No photos for me on this one--camera's busted. :mad:

Good memories, though. Hiking up through the boulder field by headlamp . . . Mardi the Bostonian, wearing her bug net hat to keep out our Maine black flies . . . having the whole Horns Pond campsite to ourselves except for the caretaker . . . the water from the box spring on South Horn . . . and MEB and Mardi for company!

Bigelow resonates in my heart for a number of reasons, and it had been too long since I'd been there. Thanks, M and M, for the invite and the fine trip, even though I had to cut it short.