Biking to the Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
As we all know, Sawyer River Road is closed to vehicular traffic and won't be open until August. I am planning on climbing Vose Spur in a week or so. My question is this, is it legal to ride a bicycle to the trailhead on Sawyer River Road or do we have to walk those extra miles in order for the peak to count.

Thanks for any advice.

Pat

I just called the Saco Ranger Station to confirm. Tim said that late July early August the road will be closed to any and all traffic to repair the section that was washed out by Irene. Until then he said we are welcome to bicyle and walk the road, just no cars. It is gated anyway. I think the bike is a good idea :)

See also When do the roads open?

http://www.amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#rules2 said:
Q. Can I use a mountain bike while bagging a peak?

A. The increased popularity of mountain bikes makes it necessary to come up with some sort of policy. Please remember that this is a club for hikers; not that we object to trail bikes per se, but we want to preserve the tradition of climbing on foot, not on bikes. In winter we have absolutely forbidden the use of snowmobiles, even when a road is passable to ordinary cars in summer. However, a similar policy on trail bikes seems a bit excessive. Therefore we suggest that we all attempt to live by the following standard:
It is acceptable to use bikes on logging roads that are:
not part of an officially maintained trail and
legally open to the general public for car/truck travel on the day of the trip and
fairly easily passable to an average four-wheel-drive vehicle (not an ATV) without "heroic measures" such as winches. (If you think a jeep might not make it, then please walk.)

Road not open to vehicles -> you must walk (for AMC credit, of course)

Tim

Last edited:
No Tape

Promise us that you won't hang any tape this time.

It's supposed to be a bushwhack.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Tim, I arrive at a different conclusion with regard to "following the rules".

Sawyer River Road is normally open to vehicular traffic in summer, so while it is under repair for storm damage, using a bike (manual or motorized) to reach the summer trailhead would be consistent with how most hikers reach the trailhead when the road is in good repair.

Using a bike under these circumstances is NOT the same as using a bike on the Wilderness trail to hike Flume, the Bonds, etc since this old railroad bed is now a hiking trail.

I believe the intent of the "rules/guidelines" is to create a level playing field, so that the challenges of reaching any given peak will be the same for all hikers, with variations for specific seasons. If this is the case, then using alternative mechanical means when a road is closed temporarily is not a violation of the spirit of the "rules".

I think we have to use some latitude. Otherwise, we run the risk of declaring that a winter peak can only be "counted" if done solo after a heavy snowfall, breaking trail all the way. If you climb it on hard-parked trail using microspikes only it would not be allowed. As silly as this sounds, I offer this to point out that even when we "follow the rules", most peaks are easier under some conditions than on others.

Sawyer River road was washed out for at least two years about 20 years ago. The rule then was the rule now, if you cant drive it, you need to walk it. Winter hikers climb Carrigan in the winter and almost always walk in from 302. There is 16 hours of daylight in late June throuhg most of July so there is plenty of time to do the hike.

Walking the road is a pleasant walk, most folks go right past the remains of the sawmill while driving to the trailhead.

The rule is very clear: if the road is closed to vehicular traffic ON THE DAY YOU HIKE, then it's closed for the purposes of your hike, and you cannot bicycle, snowmobile, etc.

There is no "personal latitude" if you want your accomplishment to be recognized by the organization that gives out the scrolls and patches.

Everyone else out there working on the 4000-Footers or Hundred Highest is (hopefully) respecting the rules, and we should not be suggesting otherwise.

If anyone doesn't want to do the road walk, the solution is simple: wait until the road re-opens.

This is not the first time Sawyer River Road has washed out, and it won't be the last.

The rule is very clear: if the road is closed to vehicular traffic ON THE DAY YOU HIKE, then it's closed for the purposes of your hike, and you cannot bicycle, snowmobile, etc.
The original post was not specific as to whether it meant USFS rules or AMC rules, apparently USFS will allow use of the road while repairs are under way

I agree with MJ on AMC rules, their goal is to recognize _hikers_ and people who want to mountain bike as far as is legal (including all the way to some summits) can form their own club and issue their own patch

It's a game like baseball, maybe it's unfair that you need 4 balls to move on but get only 3 strikes - but if you insist on a 4th strike the umpire will toss you out, start your own league if you don't like it

To my mind the worst abuse is people using mountain bikes to "red-line" the White Mountain Guide, this would cause Gene Daniell to turn over in his grave if he was actually dead

To my mind the worst abuse is people using mountain bikes to "red-line" the White Mountain Guide
that is wrong and can't imagine anyone would acutally do that.

P2piper - sorry, I don't have an answer for you........I'd wait until Aug!! :)

MichaelJ is right.

It’s only an extra 30 or 40 minutes each way to walk it, and it keeps everyone happy.

The main water crossing, right after the split in the trail, could be difficult if there’s been a lot of rain and you want to keep your feet dry.

I e-mailed Eric. He says:

Eric said:
Tim,
We have not discussed the current Sawyer Road situation specifically, but the general principle is that you can use a bike wherever a car is allowed and could (reasonably) drive, which would suggest that during the closure, one would have to walk (just like in the winter). If you're not counting it for an official ascent (is this for you or someone else?), I'm not aware of any other restrictions on biking the road.
If this is for the "Grid" or Trailwrights, it's possible that their rules are less restrictive than ours, but you would have to check their website or ask someone affiliated with that group.

Eric

Tim

1995 I think, I walked it the first time I did Carrigain. If it's gated, you walk.

Ok, we want this to count so walking we will go (or wait until August if that's the groups consensus). And no surveyors tape. I can't believe you actually remember that thread.

As always on this list, a diverse and thought-provoking list of responses.

Ciao,
Pat

You Vill Comply!

As always on this list, a diverse and thought-provoking list of responses.

I won't ask how deeply planted your tongue was in your cheek when making that comment, or what those thoughts were ;)