Binoculars

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good, small (pack size) binoculars? Been meaning to get a pair for awhile but went looking at KTP and found way too many to choose from.

Any recommendations on a good, small (pack size) binoculars? Been meaning to get a pair for awhile but went looking at KTP and found way too many to choose from.
For daytime viewing, you can get away with something that is 8x24. Small and light and works well for sunny days. Not recommended for night viewing, e.g. 10x70, read - big and heavy!

Then again, a digital camera with an 8x zoom is just the same as 8x24 for 'views'.

Any magnification over 7x or 8x will be hard to hold steady and while a larger objective lens gathers more light (only important for use in dim light*), anything over ~25mm gets large and heavy for hiking. Thus 7x25 or 8x25 are good choices. Weather/water proof is, of course, a plus. (For an application like big boating (eg an ocean-going sailboat) involving serious use in potentially dim light and minimal weight limits, 8x35 or 8x50 is more practical.)

* In bright light, the pupil in your eye will close down and eliminate much of then benefit of the larger objective lens.

If weight is an issue and you anticipate only light use, consider a monocular.

BTW, the alignment between the sides of binoculars is critical--if they are out of alignment, you will see double and may get headaches. They are precision optics, so treat them gently.

FWIW, I have 7oz 7x20 binoculars and a 3 oz 8x21 monocular (not including cases). I often just carry the monocular because I don't use them very often and might as well keep the weight down. If I went out expecting heavy use, such as for birding, I'd carry the binoculars.

Two prior threads on the topic:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?14075-Binoculars
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?12021-Compact-binoculars

Doug

Last edited:

I had a similar need a few years ago and settled on one of the NIKON Travelite binoculars. They're small, compact, with excellent optics. You can probably find one that meets your needs for about $75, especially from Amazon.

Now, if money is no object ... look at Steiner. I friend of mine has a pair she uses in the field for monitoring desert tortoises. I used them one time and was blown away - they were upwards of a $1K, but as she pointed out - they helped make her living as a wildlife biologist.

Now, if money is no object ... look at Steiner. I friend of mine has a pair she uses in the field for monitoring desert tortoises. I used them one time and was blown away - they were upwards of a $1K, but as she pointed out - they helped make her living as a wildlife biologist.
My professional ornithologist (bird watcher) brother had a pair of top-quality Leica binoculars (also over $1K). They were very nice, but even he admitted that they could get a bit heavy after a while.

Doug

Last edited:
I think serious birdwatchers now utilize chest harness to mitigate weight of quality binoculars.

if price was no object just try swarovski swarovision optics. I believe nothing comes close.

but price is object for me so I have been using these Nikon Monarchs for the past few years. waterproof and adequate even for some hiking.

I have Steiner Commanders from back when they were waterproof and very little compares to how nice these are. If weight while viewing is a concern you can usually improvise a "rest" even if its a bodypart. They are quite heavy and take up alot of pack space so they are only used on occasions when I am looking hard for something of interest. Mine have a nice built in compass that is dampened and is a nice feature when you are referencing locations. Many times now I just shoot with my camera and review the shot with zoom if I am trying to distinguish a feature. If you do find a small quality pair you could always store them in a waterproof hard case to protect alignment. These days with everything going digital it is tough to find lense and prism professionals if you need them reset so things become "disposable" even at high prices!;)

Have looked at Monoculars

A couple of years ago I came across a small monocular on sale for cheap money (end of season sale). It's three inches long by one and a quarter inch in diameter, 7x18mm (with a carrying case for your belt). I carry it on one of the hip belt adjustment straps. Always within arms length for quick use, and out of the way when not needed.

While it's not powerful enough to find Curiosity on the Martin surface, it does the job for quick trail and mountain top use.

RIE has a couple of models http://www.rei.com/category/momclulars

Just something to think about.

See you on the trail....Looking at you from far, far away ;).......Walker

*Warning – Strong opinions follow*

Binoculars are worthless in your pack. They need to be at hand. The binoculars that are light enough and small enough to fit in a handy pocket don't provide enough light to SEE what you really want binoculars for. The solution, as already mentioned, is to buy and wear a chest harness. Mine fits fine with every pack I wear: Eagle Optics BSEO1 Bino System Harness Strap. Then you can choose the binoculars that will get the job done for the situation(s) in mind. For woodland birding, that's 7x or 8x. For shoreland and open range/mountain birding and wildlife watching, that's 10x. I like bright binoculars that are well-suited for dim light ('cuz that's when many birds and animals are most active), so I won't go near any objective smaller than 42 mm.

This is the advice you would have gotten back when I was working at that counter you visited. Shoot me a PM to discuss individual models you're thinking of, or lay them out here for comment. FWIW, I no longer have a financial stake in your purchase. ;)