Bird and Head complete the NE 111! (and New England 4000'ers)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
Well, after countless road trips, truck camping, and 8 years of boots on the trail, we have officially finished the NE 111 (and the New England 4000'ers) atop North Brother in Maine. Leading up to this trip were countless adventures in the Adirondacks, Catskills, Greens of VT., Whites of NH, and other ME 4000'ers.
The last was a stellar trip that took us from the Rangeley area (to do Abraham) to the amazing Baxter State Park for the final 3.
Abe was cool. Met a couple of cool middle aged fellas at the cabin, chatted for a couple, then quickly pushed to gain the summit. At the top, there stood the beat up fire tower which wasnt needed to gain excellent views. Nearby was the rock shelter. Inside, we saw a sleeping hiker...or so we thought. After an hour and further investigation (and a quick game of 'Rock Scissors Paper') I peered in to the entrance of the shelter and poked at the sleeping dead guy in his sleeping bag. Just a wadded up blanket...PHEEWW! We then cruised back to the truck and hit the highway for Baxter.
Bird had reserved a cabin at Kidney Pond and upon our arrival, we were pleasantly suprised by the accomodations. After a few brews and a monsterous mound of Mammy's pasta, we took a canoe out for a spin around the lake to check out some of the local wildlife. Later that evening, a thunderstorm hammered down and lulled us to sleep as we were in the comfort of our cabin :)
We awoke the next morning to blue skies and sunshine. The window of opportunity was looking pretty damn good for doing Katahdin. We drove to Roaring Brook and started a hot, humid hike into Chimney Pond. Met a buncha folks on the way in but we were the only ones on the supersteep Dudley trail, until we neared Pamola's summit. A few mishaps (Birdman froze on the descent into the col, then dropped his poles after almost topping out the Chimney, etc.) the Knife Edge was in our sights. After an hour on some hairy $h!t, we topped out on Baxter. We were the only ones there to enjoy some of the sickest views in the NE. After a few minutes of awesome scenery, we headed over to Hamlin which didn't take long due to the excellent trail over. We made it over there for 'golden hour' to take some great photos and vids as we then sat and took it all in for quite a while. We made it back to Chimney Pond by dusk where we met up with a bunch of folks and chatted before we boogied out to our lean to at Roaring Brook.
The next morning we awoke to 40 percent chance of showers and thunderbumpers but the hiking gods smiled upon us as we made our way to the top of North Brother and had gorgeous views and sunshine! It was a helluva way to finish the 115! After basking in our glory on top of N. Brother, we hurried out to beat the oncoming rain clouds and finished our trip with a night out in Millinocket....a sick seafood and steak dinner, spirits of all kinds, and 2 hot tubs eased the muscles as we reminised about our journey through the North East 111....

Head said:
blah blah blah
:D

Woohoo! Way to go Bird and Head! Welcome to the club!

What?! No Coe, South Brother, or Fort? No NEHH ?? :eek:

:D

And I *MUST* see the video(s) !!! :D

Last edited:
Great job. My wife and I saw you rousting the grouse on Old Speck and then loafing on the way down.

I predict you will regret not bagging Fort. (It was so close, but we didn't do it either.) Although it is a good excuse to go back to Baxter State Park.

Now that you are done head you can drag my butt up couchie and allen next year! (George from the hospital). you really don't look good in a dress. :D

Head said:
Well, after countless road trips, truck camping, and 8 years of boots on the trail, we have officially finished the NE 111 .

...... and you guys did them all with style :cool:

Congrats!

Wow. Fantastic accomplishment! You two are prolific paramblers.

Perhaps a full length movie is in the works?

double tubs

THANK GOD FOR THE DOUBLE HOT TUBS! Head was in one and I was in the other.. what a way to finish the 115.. of course the Cuban Cigars and Whiskey helped too..
Kahtadin and Baxter State Park is in my opinion the best place in the North east. Kahtadin is no joke and VERY IMPRESSIVE..
well now that the 115 is done, I'm taking up miniture golf and skee ball, I heard Head has a new sport, Lawn Polo.. I think he's even picked out a goat for him to ride! ;)

Look for our new site www.extremelawnpolo.com

Thanks to everyone we've met and to our millions of fans! :cool:

MIKE MAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY (bird)

ps we're working on a best of dvd :)

Mr. X said:
So is this it...no more climbing?
We aren't done hiking, but the hiking vids are gonna be sparse for a while. (Bird is moving to California next month). Our next planned vids are the winter 46 in the ADKs and hopefully the Long Trail next year...There will be quite a few new rock climbing and bouldering vids up at the start of this fall and a new BirdHead Slackline video very soon!! Stay tuned...
Tom Rankin said:
'Originally Posted by Head - blah blah blah' Woohoo! Way to go Bird and Head! Welcome to the club! What?! No Coe, South Brother, or Fort? No NEHH ?? And I *MUST* see the video(s) !!!
Blah Blah Blah....Yeah, I know...but I had a paintball gun to my HEAD while writing the novel :p
coldmountain said:
Wow. Fantastic accomplishment! You two are prolific paramblers. Perhaps a full length movie is in the works?
Yep...A full length movie is in the works, cept its an animated feature for the Banff Mountain Film Festival. It's called 'Dream the Extreme'. It's a crazy extreme mountain adventure...a must see ;) As for hiking vids...we're gonna have a 'Best of the 111' DVD...should be fun!
Adk_dib said:
Now that you are done head you can drag my butt up couchie and allen next year! (George from the hospital). you really don't look good in a dress.
Hey, the chicks dig the dress....or not! :eek: I'm thinkin' we're prob gonna sled at least Allen this winter...should be a pretty sick ride!
lumberzac said:
Congrat's. How long before you sled the NE 111?
Sled the 111?!?! :rolleyes: Now yer talkin!!!
king tut said:
Congrats! Is there a Big K video coming?
Oh yeah :cool:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Ya'll rock!

Head said:
I'm thinkin' we're prob gonna sled at least Allen this winter...should be a pretty sick ride!
I must be there for that one! Let me know! I have 2 different kinds of sleds, let's do this puppy!

Congrats! Found some trail money in the Reddington cannister last week and wondered if you had completed the 115. Now I know.