Birthday party question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hi all- going on a trip in a week to the Whites, staying at Carter Notch Hut (first non-winter stay there for me, it will be nice not having to shovel out the bunkhouse) and celebrating my Dad's birthday-shh! I want to bake a cake there, so planning to pack in all necessary stuff. Questions for you: 1) Does the oven work? 2) Are there pans there that are suitable for a cake (not a gigantic one)? I imagine at least the first answer is yes, as the hut is full-service most of the time. I can pack in a regular size pan if they only have giant ones.

Thanks.
Weatherman

Weatherman -- I think the general answers to your questions are all "yes" -- the oven works, and the croo routinely make cakes, brownies, etc, so I would imagine they have appropriate (but they probably ARE big) pans.

The specific recommendation I would have is, call over to Pinkham Notch. I bet the croo there could give you more specific information about the gear available at Carter to guests.

I know they have huge cookie sheets, but am not sure about cake pans, so you definitely should check with Pinkham. I think you'll want to bring in your own to be sure, since the wrong size pan could wreak havoc with your ingredients.

They have pretty much every kitchen tool, pot, pan, cup, mug, plate, flatware, etc. known to exist. The stove/oven does work but you might pack in a thermometer as one never knows how accurate the dials may be. Since going full-service, both sides of the oven probably now work.

They certainly have bread pans as they are always making those sort of things - most cake recipes can be baked in a variety of pans/shapes/sizes. It may not be the shape you want, but you probably could get by with a loaf pan if you had to - possibly go with a lower temperature and cook longer - want to get the middle just right without torching the outer edges. Of course, I think the batter tastes better than the cake - just mix and drink!

If you cannot tell - in my prior career I was a bakery manager!

Have fun - hope it works for you! :)

can't speak for current untensils and pans, though in the past (when the hut was strictly self service) there were often more than enough. spent a number of months caretaking there a few years back and can say that although the oven often warms up a little slow i have never gotten anything to bake as well or evenly since. i dream of having one of my own someday.....

bryan

Lawn Sale said:
I accidentally...
Mark: You look like you've had a lot of accidents lately... :eek: :D

Weatherman: I remember the oven well as I referred to it while playing "trailhead charades" at the hut... That's all I know...Good luck!

So, the party was great, the oven was perfect (thermometer I brought and the oven setting were identical), there was a pan there already so I didn't need to use the one I brought, and the cake was great except for the fact that the oven is not level so it was thicker at one end! No problem. The number of candles was enough to threaten to incinerate us all, but it was a great time!

Weatherman

Sorry I missed this thread before, I was going to add that they make muffins, so you could always make cupcakes instead of a cake...

Glad it was a great time and you had what you needed.

Hope your dad enjoyed his surprise party and was able to make a wish and blow out the candles!

:)