Black Angel Trail to Carter Dome

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Sept 15, 2012: Wild River Trail and Black Angel Trail to Carter Dome

I have always been intrigued by the trail title: Black Angel – seemed very mysterious….

Started out on from the Wild River Campground heading along the Wild River Trail, an old railroad bed. I kept hoping I’d seem some remains and finally noted a rusted bucket. So many metal culverts along the way, it seemed like it must have been converted to a truck road at some later point. I loved the remoteness of the area!

Not far from the start, this blowdown appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the trail – looked to be blown off the river by Hurricane Irene.
P1020483-treeintrail.jpg

Wild River from the Wild River Trail - significant Irene damage
P1020484-wildriverirenedamage.jpg

More Wild River – several sections and lots of river rock
P1020533-wildriver.jpg

Eventually, the trail separates from the river a bit and looks like a traditional former railbed
P1020528-rrcorridor.jpg

And I finally spotted something old…. A nice bucket trailside
P1020530-bucket.jpg

Up onto the Black Angel Trail
P1020529-blackangeltrailsign.jpg

Old enamel marker on a tree – looked like maybe “1 Mile”? From what? This was pretty close to the Wild River Trail
P1020524-milemarker.jpg

Intriguing fungus
P1020515-fungus.jpg

And this fungus had started to decay
P1020523-fungusstar.jpg

Branches seemed to frame the trail
P1020498-curvedbranches.jpg

Getting higher on the Black Angel into a beautiful birch glade
P1020509-moretrail.jpg

cont.

Last edited:
cont:

Upper sections of Black Angel were so pretty
P1020511-moreviewsfromtrail.jpg

P1020506-morefoliagevalleys.jpg

Valleys were starting to show gold
P1020505-leavesturning.jpg

And then the trail got a little scrambly
P1020499-upperledgysections.jpg

From there I jogged to the summit, tagged it, and headed back into the Wild River Wilderness
P1020502-reenteringwilderness.jpg

A very pretty day, and a great place for solitude. I hope you enjoy!!! ~Becca

Last edited:
It is a special place...shhhhh!

i did a big loop up Black Angel and down Moriah Brook -- only saw people on Carter Dome and North Carter...great area. You can really "lose yourself" in there!

Nice pics. I did a loop last year of the Carters through Shelburn-Moriah from WR campground and used the Black Angel Tr to ascend. I really liked that trail except while scrambling on the ledgy section near the top I was stung by a bee on the lip.:mad:

Becca,
Several years ago when we hiked to Carter Dome via the Carter Moriah Trail, we wondered the same thing about the Black Angel Trail. Now we know. Thanks for taking us there.

Donna:)