Black bear kills 13 year old in Utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dugan said:
I read a study a year or to ago regarding women, menstrual cycles, and - how to phrase this delicately - the "attractiveness" of used internal protection. The study concluded that the only bear attracted to them were polar bears, and then not very often. Blacks bears and grizzlies were also included. I tried a quick google but couldn't find the study.

I tend to agree that the connection between menses (and carrying used products) and bear attack is overblown. However, women can avoid the issue entirely by using one of these.
-vegematic

DougPaul said:
I suspect that this theory is put forth any time a woman known (or speculated) to be in mensus is attacked by a bear.

If we assume that a woman is in menses 5-10% of the time (this is a pure guess), then one would expect 5-10% of women attacked by bears to be in menses if it is ignored by bears, more if the menstrual odors attract bears, and less if the odors repel the bears.

I am not aware of anyone taking the statistics (and using the correct percentages or polling all hiking women for their menstrual status). The only meaningful tests that I am aware of is the tests with the zoo bears. (This study is reported in Herrero*.)

So the best data that we have to date is no effect for blacks and grizzlys and small for polar. (And with polar bears, humans are always on the menu. High-powered rifles are standard equipment for hiking in their territory.)

Doug

* Cushing, Bruce. 1983. Responses of polar bears to human menstrual odors. Pages 275-280 in E Charles Meslow (ed.) Fifth international conference on bear research and management. International Association of Bear Research and Management, publishers.

Thanks Doug for digging this up. This is one of those myths that just makes me crazy because all it does is scare women. I've read summaries of these studies (need to find the book--I'm at work right now) and there seems to be no real connection at all. Also, in the one study someone mentioned polar bears were the only ones who had any interest in used feminine supplies, which isn't a complete surprise because polar bears are the most aggressive and fearless of all bears.

That said, it just makes sense to use non-perfumed tampons etc., and hang any used supplies rather than keeping it in your tent.

Most people are not attacked by bears. Those that are are often attacked for a reason. Then there are the very rare cases where people are yanked from their tents or whatever for seemingly no reason. These of course are the most frightening occurrances that get the most press. But you are much more likely to be struck by lightening than you are to be attacked by a bear.

I am one of those people who does find traveling in bear country to be challenging because I feel overly fearful. (For some reason, I don't feel this way on my home turf--even in the Daks.) I've read a lot of books about it, and I can say that it is helpful to know what to do right when you are out there.

una_dogger said:
Holy crap! Incidents like this one make me nervous.

How tragic for the family.
FWIW,there hasn't been a bear fatality in New Hamshire since 1784. And that was in Derry. Go figure. I know this 'cause Mrs. KD asked way back when-and asked frequently.
Actually I'm sure Derry was the edge of wilderness back then.

vegematic said:
I tend to agree that the connection between menses (and carrying used products) and bear attack is overblown. However, women can avoid the issue entirely by using one of these.
-vegematic

Great idea! You can use a diaphragm for about the same purpose, but I don't think it holds as much.

vegematic said:
However, women can avoid the issue entirely by using one of these.
Remember, bears have very good noses. I suspect that they could still smell menstruation, although perhaps not at the same range as when a woman is using other means of control.

I suppose that a woman could use one of the period eliminating drugs to truly avoid the issue.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Remember, bears have very good noses. I suspect that they could still smell menstruation...
Doug

I'm not so sure. Every doctor I've asked and most other sources I've seen say that menstrual fluid only develops an odour on contact with air. When correctly placed the cup forms a seal, effectively preventing air contact and containing any inherent odour that the fluid might have until the cup is removed.

I'm not aware of any studies to quantitatively test cup-using women for odour but I would guess that she is no more blood-scented than someone with a scrape or a few black fly bites.

-vegematic

vegematic said:
I'm not so sure. Every doctor I've asked and most other sources I've seen say that menstrual fluid only develops an odour on contact with air.

From what I have read, with any form of internal protection that is not leaking (or wicking out via a tampon string), the smell is effectively trapped within the body.

DougPaul said:
Remember, bears have very good noses. I suspect that they could still smell menstruation, although perhaps not at the same range as when a woman is using other means of control.

Yes, better even than the scent hound breeds. What a bear may smell is not the menstrual product inside the body, but rather the hormonal changes that the body goes through at this time. I know that dogs may react to changes in body chemistry so it isn't a stretch to think that bears may also.

DougPaul said:
I suppose that a woman could use one of the period eliminating drugs to truly avoid the issue.

There are such drugs, but from what I've read it is safer to be "vacuumed" out. If a woman is using birth control pills she could simply stay on them, skipping a period. I question the safety of using these methods, but that's another topic.

vegematic said:
I'm not so sure. Every doctor I've asked and most other sources I've seen say that menstrual fluid only develops an odour on contact with air. When correctly placed the cup forms a seal, effectively preventing air contact and containing any inherent odour that the fluid might have until the cup is removed.

I'm not aware of any studies to quantitatively test cup-using women for odour but I would guess that she is no more blood-scented than someone with a scrape or a few black fly bites.
Little hard to tell since one cannot check anything for its odor until it has contacted air. One could, however, check for odor develpment over time. In some cases (eg sweat), the body fluid is odorless--the odor is due to bacteria that grow in/on the fluid or residue.

One could also theorize that menstrual fluids are body fluids and tissue that are being expelled and therefore aren't all that unique. Last time I checked, all of us (including males!) were made of body fluids and tissue...

Doug

Dugan said:
There are such drugs, but from what I've read it is safer to be "vacuumed" out. If a woman is using birth control pills she could simply stay on them, skipping a period. I question the safety of using these methods, but that's another topic.
I certainly wasn't advocating their use, but if a woman were sufficiently scared, they are a potential option. Presumably she should consult with her doctor to evaluate the trade-offs. (The drugs in question are likely to be prescription anyhow.)

Doug

While untested, my bear attack response is instinctual. I will immediately mess my pants in an effort to become less appetizing to the bear.

To them, desk-jockeys like me are veal.

The child was 11, not 13

Not too important, but while we are on the subject...

I see alot of speculation on menstrual byproducts but my experiance with young teens is fruity body washes n hair products, especially pre bed time products like moisturizers n such. These will bring in bears and I am willing to bet on this as the root of the problem. But we will never know till the investigation is over.

Or, since there is no (nada, zip, zilch) evidence that menstruation does attract bears, we might focus our energy on bear-avoidance strategies that have a chance of making a difference rather than make them paranoid about their presence in the woods.

griffin said:
Or, since there is no (nada, zip, zilch) evidence that menstruation does attract bears, we might focus our energy on bear-avoidance strategies that have a chance of making a difference rather than make them paranoid about their presence in the woods.

Thank you!