Black Bear or Coyote?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Reaction score
I came across this in Harriman on 11/20. It might be a little large for coyote, but I haven't seen bear scat with that much fur in it previously. Then again, I haven't noticed that much of either in my travels.

20101120Harriman-227cs.jpg

Ed

Based on the shape and the relation to the oak leaf size, I'll say coyote (knowing that what really resides here in the Northeast is an admixture of coyote and their larger cousin.)

When bears do it in the woods, the result resembles the output of H. sapiens more than any other species.

coyote, if the diameter is 1/2" or so might could be fox also but you said it was large. All the bear scat I have seen has been "looser" with some plant material in it (berries, apples, acorns)

You know the hiking and climbing conditions suck, when the top thread is about poop...

I was debating the appropriateness of the photo before I posted it, but it really was a sincere question so I went ahead with it.

We took a bunch of Boy Scouts on that hike in Harriman and one of the other scoutmasters told them it was bear poop, but I had my doubts. I wasn't certain though because I don't know how much berry forage is available to show up in bear scat in November.

I joked that the fur was little bits of scout uniform.

Thanks to all for the help with the coyote ID!

Last edited:
I was debating the appropriateness of the photo before I posted it, but it really was a sincere question so I went ahead with it.

We took a bunch of Boy Scouts on that hike in Harriman and one of the other scoutmasters told them it was bear poop, but I had my doubts. I wasn't certain though because I don't know how much berry forage is available to show up in bear scat in November.

I joked that the fur was little bits of scout uniform.

Thanks to all for the help with the coyote ID!

Never be shy about showing an interest in things scatalogical. It's one of the premier ways to know what's in the neighborhood, what they're doing, and where they're doing it. I have a few dozen photos of scat, and yes, I do poke poop as well. :rolleyes:

Never be shy about showing an interest in things scatalogical. It's one of the premier ways to know what's in the neighborhood, what they're doing, and where they're doing it. I have a few dozen photos of scat, and yes, I do poke poop as well. :rolleyes:

I actually have a "Scats and Tracks of the Northeast" book that I checked, but for some reason it wasn't definitive for me in this case. I've been taking more interest in such things lately, but haven't quite dove into the subject head-first ;)

Last edited:
Highly recommend "Tracking and the Art of Seeing" by Paul Rezendes. has info about animal behavior, diagrams of tracks, pictures of tracks/scats and pictures of other signs the animal may give (antler rubbing, claw marks, etc.)

Another good practice is when taken a shot of scat or tracks take it with something in the frame, like a knife, for reference.

Never be shy about showing an interest in things scatalogical.
A favorite thing to do when I'm guiding or training trek leader guides for BSA, is to carry a small plastic bag filled with a wad of slightly wet prunes. At some discrete time, I then "find" an interesting pile beside the trail. Did you know that you can tell a bear's gender by the taste? :D :p

Last edited: