Black bear sighting...would you tell ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I knew there was a bear around, and I saw someone with a dog (leash or not) I'd let them know. I have in the past. They can do with that information whatever they wish.

As for what would I do if there was a hunter in the area, depends on where I saw the bear. Heading way off away from any trail? I'd probably tell them where I saw it. Heading toward a trailhead, then I'd just trade a few pleasantries.

Warn the bear? ;)

I leash my dog, make sure the hunter knows I'm there (assuming it's not fat red-head season), and get the heck out of Dodge.

Ha ha...exactly what I would do!

Actually, I brought this twist up because when I was reading the original post -- my first thought was that the motorboat was filled with bear hunters. :eek:

Big decision for us , do we tell the people that they just missed an awesome viewing ?
Do we tell them they are in danger ?
Do we tell them their dogs are in danger?
or
tell them they are endangering the bear ?

I must be missing something.

Why would you not tell them that they are in danger, if you believe they are?

Why would you not tell them that their dogs are in danger, if you believe they are?

Why would you not tell them that they are endangering the bear, if you believe they are?

What is hard about this? :confused:

I get the impression that their arrival was not in keeping with the semi-wilderness description of the location, in which case one is not inspired to be very helpful. Thus the question, do you help these, uh, idjits, or not.

I must be missing something.

Why would you not tell them that they are in danger, if you believe they are?

Why would you not tell them that their dogs are in danger, if you believe they are?

Why would you not tell them that they are endangering the bear, if you believe they are?

What is hard about this? :confused:

Take all these ideas ... translate them to French.. wade across a sandbar while dogs are charging you... and try to explain some of the intricacies of the situation. This would help to give a bit of an overview to the scenario.

We did decide that they were not endangered by the bear... however we did decide that we were endangered by the boat people and moved on while the getting gone was good.

It was a great trip but this 1st day was mighty unusual....

Last edited:
Take all these ideas ... translate them to French.. wade across a sandbar while dogs are charging you... and try to explain some of the intricacies of the situation. This would help to give a bit of an overview to the scenario.

OK let's just say IMO if this had been part of the OP you might have gotten some different answers to your question in the first place. Given that what I presume was a language barrier in the whole scheme of things?

wade across a sandbar while dogs are charging you...
We did decide that they were not endangered by the bear... however we did decide that we were endangered by the boat people and moved on while the getting gone was good.

Sorry you had an encounter with some inconsiderate and irresponsible dog owners.

I would have told them about the bear (if possible, given the language barrier and immediate circumstances) for the BEAR'S sake. If the dogs were charging you, then I must assume the owners were not able or willing to keep their pets under control. I'd therefore assume that those dogs might be the type to give into prey instinct and chase wildlife. Wildlife should not be bothered by dogs -- this is why many state and national parks across the country have leash laws or ban dogs altogether.

Glad you were able to have a great vacation in spite of this situation. Sounds like getting out of there was the right move (after you tried to warn them about the bear).

OK let's just say IMO if this had been part of the OP you might have gotten some different answers to your question in the first place. Given that what I presume was a language barrier in the whole scheme of things?

We do have, or mostly my wife does, much of the language skills in a calmer situation. Under pressure though not so much.

I didn't want to predispose folks ideas one way or the other about what country we were in or the predominate language of the area.
As all peoples are equal I was thinking more of an overview on what people would be thinking as they made their decisions on the subject.

Last edited:
Unless they were bear hunters I would have simply mentioned I had seen a bear. Once warned, it would be up to them what they did. I really think most people would do their best to keep the family pooch and the kids away from a bear. If they didn't I guess that's another story but you can't keep speculating, some particular incidents may require more than a 'general principles' response.

If they were hunters I wouldn't say a thing, I'd just clear out myself. If they were illegally hunting, I'd inform the proper authorities and let them handle it.

As for my dog, just because he is the way he is, he would be on a leash and he would have to stay on a leash. When he gets the sent of big game he goes out his ever loving mind and nothing but a leash can stop him. I have no choice. I love him too much to let him go.

OK, the simple (and not so simple) language difference makes it an entirely different situation. ;)

It was a great trip but this 1st day was mighty unusual....