Black Cap Mtn 6/23/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
During a recent trip to NH and Maine, I had a small window of about 1/2 day to squeeze in a hike in the Whites. Referring to S. Smith's book on best "bang for the buck", I chose Black Cap.. Turned out to be a good decision. Long drive to get to trailhead,just N of N.Conway.Weather overcast and windy but good, cool day for Hiking. Had forgotten in my rush, much (all)of my gear, but plunged ahead. Great short hike in good country and was at top in less than an hour even w my troublesome knee. Outstanding views for the small effort involved!! Even though a weekend, only met 3 or 4 hikers on the trail (all friendly-a young lady insisted I take some water and trail mix as I had none!)and it got busier in the afternoon on way down. Had to hustle to get back for a dinner that night in Northern NH for my wife's HS reunion.. Very Happy with this hike under the circumstances. If you have little time but still want to enjoy the Whites experience and views, this was great at least for me (of course, above treeline or the Bonds is better) Thanks for looking. A hiker who compromised but still had fun, Thanks for looking...Here's pics:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559776670IJorSM

Last edited:
It's definitely a nice little hike...I may try to get up there again this week if we get a small window of sunshine. Nice views of the Whites and Maine.